Early in 1985, a number of stories appeared in the Western media about the stepping up of US aid to the mujahadeen. Whereas the White House had, in the early years of the Soviet presence, maintained a knowing silence on the subject there was now an increasingly open debate on how best to destabalise the Kabul regime.
KeywordsDaily Telegraph Tribal Leader International Herald Tribune Soviet Force Islamic Party
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 19.Major A. Oliynik, ‘By the Spurs of the Spin Ghar: Afghan Border Guards’ Uneasy Days’, Krasnaya Zvezda, 21 May 1985.Google Scholar
- 23.Gulbuddin Hekmatyar’s press conference, Afghan Realities, 1 June 1985.Google Scholar
- 33.Rahim Wardak’s press conference, AIC Bulletin, 16 July 1985.Google Scholar
- 36.Alexander Prokhanov, translated and reproduced in The Guardian, 28 September 1985.Google Scholar
- 38.Solyanov’s story: B. Borisov, ‘The Blue Beret’, Ogonyok, 9 February 1985.Google Scholar
- Filyasov’s story: Lt-Col Yu. Kryukov, ‘Test of Maturity’, Aviatsaya i Kosmonavtika, 6/1986.Google Scholar