In chapter 3 we examined the contribution made by political parties to the achievement of independence. This chapter asks the question: what was the raison d’êetre of these parties once independence had been achieved? To answer it we identify, at the risk of repeating some of the points made in the introduction, certain political trends.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bienen, H., ‘One-Party Systems in Africa’, in Huntington, S. P., and Moore, C. H. (eds.), Authoritarian Politics in Modern Society (New York: Basic Books, 1970).Google Scholar
- Cartwright, J. R., Politics in Sierra Leone, 1947–67 (University of Toronto Press, 1970).Google Scholar
- Coleman, J. S., and Rosberg, C. G., Jr (eds.), Political Parties and National Integration in Tropical Africa (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1964).Google Scholar
- Dunn, J. (ed.), West African States: Failure and Promise. A Study in Comparative Politics (Cambridge University Press, 1978).Google Scholar
- Gertzel, C. (ed.), Baylies, C, and Szeftel, M., The Dynamics of the One-Party State in Zambia (Manchester University Press, 1984).Google Scholar
- Leys, C., and Hyden, G., ‘Elections and Politics in Single-Party Systems: The Case of Kenya and Tanzania’, British Journal of Political Science, vol. 1, no. 2 (1972).Google Scholar
- Owusu, M., The Uses and Abuses of Political Power: A Case Study of Continuity and Change in the Politics of Ghana (Chicago University Press, 1970).Google Scholar
- Pratt, R. C, The Critical Phase in Tanzania, 1945–68. Nyerere and the Emergence of a Socialist Strategy (Cambridge University Press, 1976).Google Scholar
- Rosberg, C. G., and Callaghy, T. M. (eds.), Socialism in Sub-Saharan Africa: A New Assessment (Berkeley: Institute of International Studies, University of California, 1979).Google Scholar
- Sklar, R. L., Nigerian Political Parties: Power in an Emergent African Nation (Princeton University Press, 1963).Google Scholar
- Weiss, H. F., Political Protest in the Congo: The Parti Solidaire Africain during the Independence Struggle (Princeton University Press, 1967).Google Scholar
- Zolberg, A. R., Creating Political Order: The Party-States of West Africa (Chicago: Rand McNally and Co., 1966).Google Scholar