Introduction: Receptors and receptor-mediated responses
Since Langley at the beginning of this century introduced the term ‘receptive substances’ when writing about the sites of action of both atropine and pilocarpine and also of curare and nicotine, the concept of receptors has often been used and has been familiar to pharmacologists for a long time. However, the nature of the receptors had remained unknown.
KeywordsAdenylate Cyclase Contractile Response Muscarinic Acetylcholine Receptor Heterologous Desensitization Nicotinic AChR
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- CHUANG, D.M. & COSTA, E. (1980). Evidence for internalization of the recognition site of β-adrenergic receptors during β-adrenergic receptor desensitization in frog erythrocytes. Mol. Pharmac., 18, 348–355.Google Scholar
- DIAMOND, I., GORDON, A.S., DAVIS, C.G. & MILFAY, D. (1983). Phenytoin and phosphorylation of nicotinic receptors. Adv. in Neurology, 34, 339–344.Google Scholar
- EHRLICH, Y.H., WI-IITTEMORE, S.R., GARFIELD, M.K., GRABER, S.G. & LENOX, R.H. (1982). Protein phosphorylation in the regulation and adaptation of receptor function. Prog. Brain Res., 56, 96.Google Scholar
- HATA, F., TAKEYASU, K., MORIKAWA, Y., LAI, R.T., ISHIDA, H. & YOSHIDA, H. (1980). Specific changes in the cholinergic system in guinea pig vas deferens after denervation. J. Pharmac. exp. Ther., 215, 716–722.Google Scholar
- LAW, P.Y., HOM, D.S. & LOH, H.H. (1983). Opiate receptor down-regulation and desensitization in neuroblastoma x glioma NG108–15 hybrid cells are two separate cellular adaptation processes. Mol. Pharmac., 24, 413–424.Google Scholar
- STADEL, J.M., STRULOVICI, B., NAMBI, P., LAWN, T.N., BRIGGS, M.M., CARON, M.G. & LEFKOWITZ, R.T. (1983). Desensitization of the β-adrenergic receptor of frog erythrocytes. Recovery and characterization of the down-regulated receptors in sequestered vesicles. J. Biol. Chem., 258, 3032–3038.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- STEPHENSON, R.P. (1956). A modification of receptor theory. Br. J. Pharmac., 11, 379–386.Google Scholar