Insulin receptor structure
The structure and function of the insulin receptor has been the subject of intensive research effort in the last few years. Progress in this field has been so rapid that any review will be out of date almost before it is written. It is a mark of the rate at which work on this subject has progressed that, while almost nothing was known about the receptor five years ago (Kahn, 1979), several laboratories have now purified the receptor to near homogeneity, and a clear and consistent picture of the structure of the receptor, and the way in which insulin acts through the receptor, has been built up.
KeywordsInsulin Receptor Disulphide Bond Insulin Binding Photoaffinity Labelling Negative Cooperativity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- AVRUCH, J., NEMENOFF, R.A., BLACKSHEAR, P.J., PIERCE, M.W. & OSATHANOUDH, R. (1982). Insulinstimulated tyrosine phosphorylation of the insulin receptor in detergent extracts of human placental membranes. Comparison to EGF-stimulated phosphorylation. J. biol. Chem., 257, 15162–15166.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- BRANDENBURG, D., DIACONESCU, C., FRANCIS, T., FRIESER, H-J., GATTNER, H-G., NAITHANI, V.K., NOWAH, J., SHERMUTZKI, W., SCHRIFF, E., SHUTTLER, A., SMITH, D., WEIMANN, J. & WOLLMER, A. (1973). Molecular basis of insulin action: recent results of chemical modification and structure-function studies. Excerpta med., Series No. 413, 163–168.Google Scholar
- CUATRECASAS, P. (1971). Perturbation of the insulin receptor of isolated fat cells with proteolytic enzymes. J. biol. Chem., 246, 6522–6531.Google Scholar
- DE MEYTS, P., BIANCO, A.R. & ROTH, J. (1976). Site-site interactions among insulin receptors: characterisation of the negative cooperativity. J. biol. Chem., 251, 1877–1888.Google Scholar
- KAHN, C.R., BAIRD, K.L., FLIER, J.S., GRUNFELD, C., HARMON, J.T., HARRISON, L.C., KARLSSON, F.A., KASUGA, M., KING, G.L., LANG, U.C., PODSKALNY, J.M. & VAN OBBERGHEN, E. (1981). Insulin receptors, receptor antibodies, and the mechanism of insulin action. Recent Progress in Hormone Research, 37, 477–538.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- TATNELL, M.A., JONES, R.H., WILLEY, K.P., SCHUTTLER, A. & BRANDENBURG, D. (1983). Evidence concerning the mechanism of insulin-receptor interaction and the structure of the insulin receptor from the biological properties of covalently linked insulin dimers. Biochem. J., 216, 687–694.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- YIP, C.C. & MOULE, M.L. (1983). Insulin receptor: its subunit structure as determined by photoaffinity labelling. Fedn Proc.Google Scholar