Part of the Macmillan New Electronics Series book series
The general aim of the image acquisition sub-system can be summarised as:
In order to achieve this aim three major issues must be tackled — these are representation, transduction (or sensing) and digitisation.
‘The transformation of optical image data into an array of numerical data which may be manipulated by a computer, so the overall aim of machine vision may be achieved’.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. Young, ‘Representing images for computer vision’, AISB Quarterly Newsletter, 63, pp. 8–11, University of Sussex, 1987.Google Scholar
- 2.J. Wilson and R. Hodgson, ‘A pattern recognition system based on models of the human visual system’, In Proc. IPA ‘92, pp. 258–261, Maastricht, Netherlands, IEE, 1992.Google Scholar
- 3.L. J. Pinson, ‘Robot vision: an evaluation of imaging sensors’, in A. Pugh (Ed.), Robot Sensors: Vol. 1 — Vision, pp. 15–63, IFS (Publications), Bedford, 1986.Google Scholar
- 4.J. Wilson and J. Hawkes, Optoelectronics: An Introduction, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1983.Google Scholar
- 5.B. Batchelor, D. Hill and D. Hodgson, Automated Visual Inspection, IFS (Publications), Bedford, 1985.Google Scholar
- 6.I. McLean, Electronic and Computer-Aided Astronomy, Ellis Horwood, Chichester, 1989.Google Scholar
- 9.Technical brief: ‘Electrons vs. voltages’, CCD Solid State Imaging Technology Data Book, p. 354, Loral Fairchild, Milpitas, California, 1991.Google Scholar
- 10.J. Hollingum, Machine Vision: The Eyes of Automation, pp. 94–98, IFS (Publications), Bedford, 1984.Google Scholar
- 12.G. F. Amelio, ‘Charge-coupled devices’, Scientific American, 230, pp. 22–31, Feb. 1974.Google Scholar
- 13.K. Miwada et al., ‘Third generation CCD linear sensor’, ESSCIRC ’85, pp. 346–358, Toulouse, France, IEEE, New York, 1985.Google Scholar
- 14.D. Koenig, ‘The boards are back in town: board survey’, Image Processing, 3(3), pp. 18–36, July/August 1991.Google Scholar
- 15.P. Atkin, ‘Better boards by design: boards survey’, Image Processing, 4(2), pp. 31–45, May/June 1992Google Scholar
© G.J. Awcock and R. Thomas 1995