Athanasios (Tom) Asimakopulos, 28 May 1930–25 May 1990: A Memoir
Tom Asimakopulos died in Montreal on 25 May 1990 after a long and courageous fight against leukaemia. Marika writes (29 June 1990): ‘Tom was … a fighter. He said he’d never give up, and he didn’t’, typically characteristic of a nevertheless gentle man noted for his honesty, integrity and determination. He faced the last years of his life with cheerfulness, an almost detached analysis of his condition, and consideration and concern, allied with his usual efficiency and order in practical matters, for his much loved family. I rang him every fortnight or so in the first half of 1990. His voice always came through strong and positive, a true index of his splendid attitude. In the last week of his life I was able to tell him that his book with Cambridge University Press, Keynes’s General Theory and Accumulation (1991), had been accepted ‘as is’. He was delighted, as he was also to see a drawing by Julia, their younger daughter, on the cover of the 1990: 1 issue of Development, the SID journal. Those who knew him deeply mourn an irreplaceable loss. But I am sure that, like me, they rejoice at having had the privilege of knowing Tom; and his attitudes to life and work will continue to inspire them.
KeywordsSocial Welfare Function Southern Economic Journal Tenure Track Position Exacting Standard Post Keynesian Economic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Asimakopulos, A. (1978) An Introduction to Economic Theory: Microeconomics, Toronto, Oxford, New York, Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Asimakopulos, A. (1984) ‘Joan Robinson and Economic Theory’, Banca Nazionale Del Lavoro Quarterly Review, December, 381–409.Google Scholar
- Asimakopulos, A. (1984–5) ‘“Long-period Employment” in The General Theory’, Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, 7, Winter, 207–13.Google Scholar
- Asimakopulos, A. (1988–9) ‘Kalecki and Robinson: An “Outsider’s” Influence’, Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, 11, Winter, 261–78.Google Scholar
- Asimakopulos, A. (1989) ‘The Nature and Role of Equilibrium in Keynes’s General Theory’, Australian Economic Papers, 28, June, 16–28.Google Scholar
- Asimakopulos, Athanasios, Robert D. Cairns and Christopher Green (eds) (1990) Economic Theory, Welfare and the State. Essays in Honour of John C Weldon, Basingstoke, Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Robinson, Joan (1965) ‘Kalecki and Keynes’, Collected Economic Papers, vol. 1ll, Oxford, Basil Blackwell, 92–99.Google Scholar
- Robinson, Joan and John Eatwell (1973) An Introduction to Modern Economics, London, McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar