Equity with Growth in Taiwan: How ‘Special’ is the ‘Special Case’?
This paper is intended to review some of the principal findings of recently completed research on income distribution in Taiwan,1 to present some of the policy conclusions which seem to emerge from that analysis, and to comment on the applicability or non-applicability of the lessons of that particular case to other presumably ‘less special’ developing economy situations.
KeywordsSugar Migration Income Agglomeration Argentina
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adelman, I. & C. Morris (1973): Economic Growth and Social Equity in Developing Countries (Stanford).Google Scholar
- Bardhan, P. (1974): ‘India’, in H. Chenery et al.: Redistribution with Growth (London, Oxford University Press), 255–262.Google Scholar
- Berry, A. & M. Urrutia (1976): Income Distribution in Colombia (Yale University Press).Google Scholar
- Diaz-Alejandro, C. (1976): Foreign Trade Regimes and Economic Development in Colombia (NBER).Google Scholar
- Fei, J. & G. Ranis (1964): Development of the Labour Surplus Economy (Irwin).Google Scholar
- Fei, J. & G. Ranis (1975): ‘A Model of Growth and Employment in the Open Dualistic Economy: The Cases of Korea and Taiwan’, Journal of Development Studies, Vol. 11, No. 2Google Scholar
- Fei, J., G. Ranis & S. Kuo (1978): ‘Growth and the Family Distribution of Income by Factor Component’, Quarterly Journal of Economics (February).Google Scholar
- Fei, J., G. Ranis & S. Kuo (1979): Equity with Growth: The Taiwan Case (New York, Oxford University Press).Google Scholar
- Fishlow, A. (1972): ‘Brazilian Size Distribution of Income’, American Economic Review, Vol. 62.Google Scholar
- Ho, S.P.S. (1976): ‘The Rural Non-Farm Sector in Taiwan’, Studies in Employment and Rural Development No. 32 (Washington, World Bank).Google Scholar
- Kuznets, S. (1955): ‘Economic Growth and Income Inequality’, American Economic Review, Vol. 45, No. 1.Google Scholar
- McGreevey, W.P. (1971): An Economic History of Colombia.Google Scholar
- Paukert, F. (1973): ‘Income Distribution at Different Levels of Development: A Survey of Evidence’, International Labour Review, Vol. 108.Google Scholar
- Resnick, S. (1970): ‘Colonial Development in Southeast Asia: A Comparison Among Burma, Philippines and Thailand, 1870 to 1938’, Journal of Economic History.Google Scholar
- Tsui & Lin (1964): ‘A Study on Rural Labour Mobility in Relation to Industrialization and Urbanization in Taiwan’, JCRR Economic Digest Series No. 16.Google Scholar
- Weisskoff, R. (1970): ‘Income Distribution and Economic Growth in Puerto Rico, Argentina and Mexico’, Review of Income and Wealth.Google Scholar