Migration and Development in the Pacific Islands
Twenty-five years ago, at the time of the first Foreign Policy School, I was completing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Geography and History at the University of Auckland. Population change in the Pacific islands was a topical issue at the time; the Professor of Geography, Kenneth Cumberland, had been a strong advocate for some years of a more active interest among academics at the University as well as politicians in Wellington in what he saw as the impending pressure of population on land and resources in small island territories.
KeywordsInternational Migration Cook Island Pacific Country Pacific Island Country Pacific Population
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. D. Bedford, Urban Tarawa: Problems and Prospects (Auckland: Department of Geography, University of Auckland, 1968 ).Google Scholar
- 2.R. D. Bedford, Resettlement: Solution to Economic and Social Problems in the Gilbert and Ellice Islands Colony (Unpublished M.A. Thesis, University of Auckland, 1967 ).Google Scholar
- 3.Norma McArthur, “Contemporary Polynesian Emigration from Samoa and the Cook Islands,” Journal of the Polynesian Society 73 (September 1964), p. 336.Google Scholar
- 4.W. D. Borrie, “Malthusian Reflections on the South Pacific,” Transactions of the Royal Society of New Zealand (General) 2 (February 1967), pp. 19–29.Google Scholar
- 5.K. B. Cumberland, “The Future of Polynesia,” Journal of the Polynesian Society 71 (December 1962), pp. 387–88.Google Scholar
- 6.N. McArthur, “Population and Social Change: Prospect for Polynesia,” Journal of the Polynesian Society 70 (December 1961), 393–400.Google Scholar
- 7.R. G. Crocombe, “Development and Regression in New Zealand’s Island Territories,” Pacific Viewpoint 3 (May 1962), p. 31.Google Scholar
- 8.A. G. Anderson, “Indian Small-farming in Fiji: The Significance of Off-farm Employment,” Pacific Viewpoint 9 (May 1968), p. 20.Google Scholar
- 11.K. Burke, “Review of Immigration Policy, August 1986,” Appendices to the Journal of the House of Representatives, G42 (August 1986).Google Scholar