An Extrusion Forging Study with Improved die Geometry
In the present paper, some experimental results are presented and compared with the output of an FEM code: extrusion forging operations, using dies with fillets and drafts, are investigated. Several geometries of the dies are taken into account both in the presence of lubricant and under dry conditions, when testing annealed copper specimens. The results are expressed in terms of total compressive force and extruded body height, the overall shape of the deformed specimen is measured as well.
An FEM program, developed in the University of Brescia for the study of plastic deformation of axisymmetrical shapes, is used to model the rigid-plastic behaviour (with work-hardening) of the material. Some mathematical problems, arising when dealing with conical surfaces and complex constraint conditions, are presented here. A fairly good agreement between experimental and theoretical results was found for the cases considered. This proves the ability of the software package to simulate extrusion forging processes with the characteristic mentioned above.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Maccarini, C. Giardini, R. Pacagnella, A. Bugini (1989) Lubrication Influence on Plastic Deformation: a FEM Approach and Experimental Results, Proc. 5th Int. Congr. on Tribology, Helsinki, pp. 400–405.Google Scholar
- 2.S.C. Jain, A.N. Bramley, C.H. Lee, S. Kobayashi (1970) Theory and Experiment in Extrusion Forging, 11th MTDR, Manchester.Google Scholar
- 3.C.H. Lee, S. Kobayashi (1971) New Solutions to Rigid-Plastic Deformation Problems Using a Matrix Method, Trans. ASME, Jou. of Eng. for Ind. #95, pp. 865–873.Google Scholar
- 4.C.C. Chen, S. Kobayashi (1978) Rigid Plastic Finite Element Analysis of Ring Compression, Trans. ASME, #28, pp. 163–174.Google Scholar
- 5.C. Giardini, G. Maccarini, G. Pellegrini, A. Bugini (1988) Friction in Upsetting: Models and Ex-perimental Results, La Metallurgia Italiana, #80, pp. 869–874.Google Scholar
- 6.G. Maccarini, A. Bugini (1989) F.E.M. and experimental results in extrusion operations (in italian), 17th AIAS, Ancona, pp. 245–254.Google Scholar
- 7.G. Maccarini, R. Pacagnella, G. Restelli, E. Gentili (1988) Reverse extrusion: mathematical models and experimental tests (in italian), 16th AIAS, L’Aquila.Google Scholar
- 8.G. Maccarini, C. Giardini, A. Bugini (1990) FEM Approach and Experimental Results in Extrusion Forging Operations, 3rd Int. Conf. on Tech. of Plasticity, Kyoto, pp. 417–422.Google Scholar
- 9.G. Maccarini, C. Giardini, G. Pellegrini, A. Bugini (1991) The influence of die geometry on cold extrusion forging operations: FEM and experimental results, Journal of Material Processing Technology, #27, pp. 227–238.Google Scholar