The papers in this volume were presented and discussed at the inaugural conference on ‘Profits and Instability’ of The Jerome Levy Economics Institute of Bard College on 16–18 March 1989. The purpose of the conference was to discuss recent research findings on various aspects of profits, deficits and instability, and the connection of these findings among the three issues themselves and their relevance to economic policy as well. Concerns and worries about the future that focus on the question of whether America is number one situate the problems of profitability, increasing debt and economic stability at centre stage.
KeywordsDebt Financing Perfect Competition Government Deficit Fixed Investment Financial Dynamics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Deane, Phyllis, The State and the Economic System: An Introduction to the History of Political Economy (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1989).Google Scholar
- Eatwell, John, ‘Competition’, in Ian Bradley and Michael Howard (eds), Classical and Marxian Political Economy (New York: St. Martin’s Press, 1982).Google Scholar
- Eisner, Robert, How Real is the Federal Deficit? (New York: The Free Press, 1986).Google Scholar
- Franke, R. and W. Semmler, ‘Debt Financing of Firms, Stability, and Cycles in a Macroeconomic Growth Model’ in W. Semmler (ed.), Financial Dynamics and Business Cycles: New Perspectives (Armonk, New York: M.E. Sharpe, Inc., 1989).Google Scholar
- Keynes, J.M., The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money (New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, reprint 1967).Google Scholar
- Marx, Karl, Capital: A Critique of Political Economy, vol. 3, The Process of Capitalist Production as a Whole, F. Engels (ed.). Reprint (New York: International Publishers, 1967).Google Scholar
- Morishima, M., Walras’ Economics (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1977).Google Scholar
- Ricardo, David, Principles of Political Economy, vol. 1, P. Sraffa (ed.) (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1986).Google Scholar
- Semmler, Willi, Financial Dynamics and Business Cycles: New Perspectives (Armonk, New York: M.E. Sharpe, Inc., 1989).Google Scholar
- Shackle, G. L. S., The Years of High Theory (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1967).Google Scholar
- Smith, Adam, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations, Edwin Cannan (ed.) (New York: The Modern Library, reprint 1937).Google Scholar