Public Policy Problems of the Domestic Crude Oil Industry: Rejoinder
Most of the space [here] will be devoted to a discussion of Campbell’s (1964) comment, for it indicates the necessity to elaborate some points of my article, and it requires further discussion about the rate of exploration. Steele’s (1964) comment, on the other hand, is primarily based on what he believes to be the relevant political, rather than economic, considerations. His argument lacks analytical rigour and is, in fact, devoid of analytical content. (Moreover, his attempt to demonstrate ‘imperfections in the mode of analysis [of my paper]’ suffers from logical errors.) Given the space limitations, therefore, I will give only brief consideration to some of the major deficiencies in Steele’s argument at the end.
KeywordsIncome Drilling Expense Manes Straw
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adelman, M. S. (1964) ‘The World Oil Outlook: An Academic View’, Resources and Economic Development (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins Press, for Resources for the Future).Google Scholar
- Bain, J. (1945) The Economics of the Pacific Coast Petroleum Industry, (Berkeley: University of California Press).Google Scholar
- Campbell, D. R. G. (1964) ‘Public Policy Problems of the Domestic Crude Oil Industry’, American Economic Review, 54.Google Scholar
- Davidson, P. (1963) ‘Public Policy Problems of the Domestic Crude Oil Industry’, American Economic Review, 53 (March) pp. 85–108 (Chapter 22 in this volume).Google Scholar
- Keynes, J. M. (1930) A Treatise on Money, vol. II (London: Macmillan).Google Scholar
- Keynes, J. M. (1936) The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money, (New York: Harcourt Brace).Google Scholar
- Lerner, A. P. (1944) The Economics of Control, (London: Macmillan).Google Scholar
- Manes, R. P. (1963) ‘More Fuel on the Depletion Fire’, National Tax Journal, 16 (March) p. 102–6.Google Scholar
- Steele, H. (1964) ‘Public Policy Problems of the Domestic Crude Oil Industry’, American Economic Review, 54.Google Scholar
- Uren, L. C. (1950) Petroleum Production Engineering — Petroleum Economics, (New York: McGraw-Hill).Google Scholar
- Weintraub, S. (1958) An Approach to the Theory of Income Distribution, (Philadelphia: Chilton Publishing).Google Scholar