Care study: a patient with a myocardial infarction
In this care study the model is used to identify problems in caring for, and to plan, implement and evaluate the nursing care given to, a patient following a myocardial infarction, from the time of admission to the time of discharge ten days later. It demonstrates the use of secondary sources of assessment information, such as that obtained from the patient’s wife, and the collection of data over a period of time to suit individual circumstances. It also illustrates the relationship between medically-prescriptive and nurse-initiated care: much nursing care is based on the regime prescribed by medical staff but is modified by liaison between nurses and doctors according to individual patient progress. Medical treatment and investigations are mentioned but not described in detail. All stages of the patient’s nursing care are described in the text and by means of a care plan.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Binnie, A., Bond, S., et al. 1984. A Systematic Approach to Nursing Care. Milton Keynes: Open University Press.Google Scholar
- Burr, M. L., Fainly, A. M. and Gilbert, J. F. 1989. Effects of change in fat, fish and fibre intakes on death and myocardial infarction. In Lancet, 2(8666).Google Scholar
- Hannah, D. and Alimo, A. 1989. A heartwarming scheme. In Nursing Times, 85(11).Google Scholar
- Hilgarde, E., Atkinson, R. and Atkinson, R. 1979. Introduction to Psychology. New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovitch.Google Scholar
- Kratz, C. R. 1979. The Nursing Process. London: Bailiiere Tindall.Google Scholar
- Long, B. C. and Phipps, W. J. 1985. Essentials of Medical-Surgical Nursing: a nursing process approach. St. Louis: Mosby.Google Scholar
- McFarlane, J. 1980. Essays on nursing. (Project papers based on working papers of the Royal Commission on NHS, No. RC2). London: Kings Fund Centre. (Cited in Binnie et al. 1984.)Google Scholar
- National Audit Office 1989. National Health Service: coronary heart disease. London: HMSO.Google Scholar
- Norton, D., McLaren, R. and Exton-Smith, A. 1962. An Investigation of Geriatric Nursing Problems in Hospital. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone.Google Scholar
- Roper, N., Logan, W. and Tierney, A. 1985. The Elements of Nursing, 2nd edn. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone.Google Scholar
- Thompson, D. R. and Cordle, C. J. 1988. Support of wives of myocardial infarction patients. In Journal of Advanced Nursing, 13.Google Scholar
- Tortora, G. and Anagnostakos, N. 1981. Principles of Anatomy and Physiology. New York: Harper & Row.Google Scholar
- Wilson Barnett, J. 1988. Patient teaching or patient counselling. In Journal of Advanced Nursing, 13.Google Scholar