The issues raised in the context of nursing the unborn and newborn are sometimes agonising ones. They frequently concern matters of life and death, and many problems, such as that of abortion, have generated and continue to generate much discussion. What we shall try to do in this chapter is to throw light on new developments, and on the ways in which the issues specifically affect nurses. The issue of abortion is one that arises for every health professional and every thinking person. It is nurses, however, who may have to handle a dead foetus, and to care for women even if, in some cases, they disapprove of their reasons for having an abortion.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bandman, E. L. and Bandman, B. (1985) Nursing Ethics in the Life Span (Norwalk: Appleton-Century-Crofts).Google Scholar
- Guardian, ‘Doctors who operated on foetus consider ethics of technology’, 1 February 1990.Google Scholar
- Harris, J. (1990) ‘Embryos and hedgehogs: on the moral status of the embryo’, in A. Dyson and J. Harris (eds), Experiments on Embryos, pp. 65–81 (London: Routledge).Google Scholar
- Kuhse, H. and Singer, P. (1985) Should the Baby Live?: The Problem of Handicapped Infants (Oxford: Oxford University Press).Google Scholar
- Macklin, R. (1984) ‘The ethics of fetal therapy’, in J. M. Humber and R. T. Almeder (eds) Biomedical Ethics Reviews, pp. 205–33 (Clifton, N.J.: Humana Press).Google Scholar
- Marshall, R. E. and Kasman, C. (1980) ‘Burnout in the neonatal intensive care unit’, Pediatrics, vol. 65, pp. 1161–65.Google Scholar
- Observer, ‘Abortion case father raises campus baby’, 17 January 1988.Google Scholar
- Polkinghorne, J. (Chairman) (1989) Code of Practice on the Use of Fetuses and Fetal Material in Research and Treatment (London: HMSO).Google Scholar
- Polkinghorne, J. (Chairman) (1989) Review of the Guidance on the Research Use of Fetuses and Fetal Material (London: HMSO).Google Scholar
- Robertson, J. A. (1981) ‘Dilemma in Danville’, Hastings Center Report, vol. 11, pp. 5–8.Google Scholar
- United Kingdom Central Council for Nursing, Midwifery and Health Visiting (1984) Code of Professional Conduct for the Nurse, Midwife and Health Visitor, 2nd ed. (London: UKCC).Google Scholar
- Warnock, M. (1985) A Question of Life: The Warnock Report on Human Fertilisation and Embryology (Oxford: Blackwell).Google Scholar