Louis MacNeice’s Ireland
When I was five the black dreams came;
Nothing after was quite the same.
Come back early or never come.
The dark was talking to the dead;
The lamp was dark beside my bed.
Come back early or never come.1
KeywordsHuman Consciousness Native Country Ireland Background Modern Poetry Collect Poem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The Collected Poems of Louis MacNeice, edited by E. R. Dodds (London, 1979), pp. 183–4. All references to MacNeice’s poetry are to this volume, referred to in the text as Collected Poems.Google Scholar
- 2.The Strings are False, edited by E. R. Dodds (London, 1965) p. 17.Google Scholar
- 4.C. S. Lewis, Surprised by Joy (London, 1977) p. 14.Google Scholar
- 5.Ibid., p. 20.Google Scholar
- 6.Samuel Beckett, Footfalls (London, 1976) p. 11.Google Scholar
- 7.They Stand Together: the Letters of C S. Lewis to Arthur Greeves 1914–1963, edited by Walter Hooper (London, 1979) p. 432.Google Scholar
- 8.Ibid., p. 433Google Scholar
- 10.Quoted by Deirdre Bair, Samuel Beckett: a Biography (London, 1978) p. 19.Google Scholar
- 12.Edna Longley, ‘Autumn Journal’, The Honest Ulsterman, no. 73 (Sept. 1983) p. 71.Google Scholar
- 13.Ibid., p. 72.Google Scholar
- 15.See Samuel Hynes, ‘Yeats and the Poets of the Thirties’ in Modern Irish Literature, edited by Raymond J. Porter and James D. Brophy (New York, 1972) pp. 1–22.Google Scholar
- 16.Louis MacNeice, The Poetry of W. B. Yeats with a foreword by Richard Ellmann (London, 1967) p. 15.Google Scholar
- 17.Ibid., p. 16.Google Scholar
- 19.Letters of C. S. Lewis, W. H. Lewis (London, 1966) p. 57.Google Scholar
- 21.Roger Lancelyn Green and Walter Hooper, C. S. Lewis: a Biography (London, 1979) p. 67.Google Scholar
- 23.Hugh Kenner, A Reader’s Guide to Samuel Beckett (London, 1973) p. 163.Google Scholar
- 24.Samuel Beckett, Ill Seen Ill Said (London, 1982) p. 42.Google Scholar
- 25.Edna Longley, ‘Louis MacNeice: the Walls are Flowing’ in Gerald Dawe and Edna Longley (eds), Across a Roaring Hill: the Protestant Imagination in Modern Ireland (Belfast and Dover, New Hampshire, 1985) p. 103.Google Scholar
- 26.C. S. Lewis, Perelandra, (London, 1983) p. 14.Google Scholar
- 27.Ibid., pp. 14–15.Google Scholar
- 28.C. S. Lewis, Poems, edited by Walter Hooper (London, 1964) p. 72.Google Scholar
- 30.Louis MacNeice, Varieties of Parable (Cambridge, 1965) p. 143.Google Scholar
- 31.Time Was Away: The World of Louis MacNeice, edited by T. Brown and A. Reid (Dublin, 1974) p. 3.Google Scholar
- 32.Ibid., p. 4.Google Scholar