More about Conrad
Many who read ‘Conrad, the Man’ in the Literary Review of 9 August  have asked for further reminiscences. It is an honour to share with others memories of this strangely fascinating genius whose friendship left one so rich in memories.
KeywordsAmerican Edition Russian Writer Ancient Port Morris Dance American Novelist
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The first American edition of James’s The Golden Bowl (New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons) was published in November 1904, thus dating this first meeting in January 1905.Google Scholar
- 5.Joseph Conrad, Lord Jim (London: J. M. Dent, 1946) p. 43.Google Scholar
- 11.Joseph Conrad, Under Western Eyes (London: J. M. Dent, 1947) p. 135.Google Scholar
- 16.Conrad’s great-uncle Nicholas (Mikołaj) Bobrowski (1792–1864), of whom Conrad says in A Personal Record (London: J. M. Dent, 1946) that ‘I knew, at a very early age, that my grand-uncle Nicholas B. was a knight of the Legion of Honour and that he had also the Polish Cross for valour, Virtuti Militari.Google Scholar
- 17.See C. T. Watts (ed.), Joseph Conrad’s Letters to R. B. Cunninghame Graham (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1969) p. 185.Google Scholar