Methodology of clinical trials in dementia. Part I: Analysis of previous trials
With increasing life expectancy, dementia is rapidly becoming one of the greatest problems facing modern society: catastrophic for the patient, and a severe burden for the family, community and state. In a recent report from the UK, a College Committee on Geriatrics of the Royal College of Physicians has calculated that between 1976 and 1988 the over-65 population is projected to increase by 7% nationally. This conceals, however, a real increase of 25% in the over-75s who will then form 6.4% of the total population. Thus, in the UK, a health district of 250 000 people will have to provide services for 3000 elderly people suffering from dementia.
KeywordsErgot Alkaloid Senile Dementia Judgement Criterion Vertebrobasilar Insufficiency Cerebrovascular Insufficiency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fogelholm, R., Waltimo, O., Putkonin, A. R. and Lansonen, R. (1974). Ben-cyclan — a new vasodilator drug — in the treatment of patients with ischaemic cerebral infarction. Ann. Clin. Res., 6, 93–6.Google Scholar
- Gerin, J. (1974). Double-blind trial of naftidrofuryl in the treatment of cerebral arteriosclerosis. Brit. J. Clin. Pract., 28, 177–8.Google Scholar
- Hollister, L. (1983). Clinical trials of co-dergocrine in senile dementia. Brit. J. Clin. Prac, Suppl. 30, 41–5.Google Scholar
- Katzman, R. (1981). Early detection of senile dementia. Hosp. Prac, 16, No. 15, 61.Google Scholar
- Lazzari, R., Franzese, A., Cheirichetti, S. M., Vibelli, C., Rudelli, G., Passeri, M. and Cucinotta, D. (1983). Multicentre double-blind placebo-controlled long-term clinical trial of Hydergine in chronic senile cerebral insufficiency: an interim report. In Agnoli, A., Crepaldi, G., Spano, P. E. and Trabucci, M. (eds), Aging Brain and Ergot Alkaloids, Raven Press, New York, 347–71.Google Scholar
- Lezak, M. D. (1985). Neuropsychological assessment. In Vinken, P. J., Bruyn, G. W. and Klawans, H. L. (eds), Handbook of Clinical Neurology, Volume 1 No. 45, Elsevier, Amsterdam and New York, 515–30.Google Scholar
- Nelson, J. J. (1975). Relieving select symptoms of the elderly. Geriatrics, 30, 133–42.Google Scholar
- Rao, D. B. and Norris, J. R. (1972). A double-blind investigation of Hydergine in the treatment of cerebrovascular insufficiency in the elderly. Johns Hopkins Med. J., 130, 317–24.Google Scholar
- Robinson, K. (1972). A double-blind clinical trial of naftidrofuryl in cerebrovascular disorders. Med. Dig. Dec, 50–55.Google Scholar
- Scrip (Leading Article) (1985). 1037, 8.Google Scholar
- Tamminga, C. A., Durso, R., Fedro, P. and Chase, T. N. (1982). Vasopressin studies in Alzheimer’s disease. Psycho. Pharmacol. Bull., 18, 48–9.Google Scholar
- Wallace, M. G., Capildeo, R. and Rose, F. C. (1983). Multicentre general practitioner trial of Hydergine in dementia using a screening programme. In Agnoli, A., Crepaldi, G., Spano, P. E. and Trabucci, M. (eds), Aging Brain and Ergot Alkaloids, Raven Press, New York, 339–46.Google Scholar