Methodology of clinical trials in dementia. Part I: Analysis of previous trials
With increasing life expectancy, dementia is rapidly becoming one of the greatest problems facing modern society: catastrophic for the patient, and a severe burden for the family, community and state. In a recent report from the UK, a College Committee on Geriatrics of the Royal College of Physicians has calculated that between 1976 and 1988 the over-65 population is projected to increase by 7% nationally. This conceals, however, a real increase of 25% in the over-75s who will then form 6.4% of the total population. Thus, in the UK, a health district of 250 000 people will have to provide services for 3000 elderly people suffering from dementia.
KeywordsPlacebo Folate Meningitis Theophylline Hypothyroidism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fogelholm, R., Waltimo, O., Putkonin, A. R. and Lansonen, R. (1974). Ben-cyclan — a new vasodilator drug — in the treatment of patients with ischaemic cerebral infarction. Ann. Clin. Res., 6, 93–6.Google Scholar
- Gerin, J. (1974). Double-blind trial of naftidrofuryl in the treatment of cerebral arteriosclerosis. Brit. J. Clin. Pract., 28, 177–8.Google Scholar
- Hollister, L. (1983). Clinical trials of co-dergocrine in senile dementia. Brit. J. Clin. Prac, Suppl. 30, 41–5.Google Scholar
- Katzman, R. (1981). Early detection of senile dementia. Hosp. Prac, 16, No. 15, 61.Google Scholar
- Lazzari, R., Franzese, A., Cheirichetti, S. M., Vibelli, C., Rudelli, G., Passeri, M. and Cucinotta, D. (1983). Multicentre double-blind placebo-controlled long-term clinical trial of Hydergine in chronic senile cerebral insufficiency: an interim report. In Agnoli, A., Crepaldi, G., Spano, P. E. and Trabucci, M. (eds), Aging Brain and Ergot Alkaloids, Raven Press, New York, 347–71.Google Scholar
- Lezak, M. D. (1985). Neuropsychological assessment. In Vinken, P. J., Bruyn, G. W. and Klawans, H. L. (eds), Handbook of Clinical Neurology, Volume 1 No. 45, Elsevier, Amsterdam and New York, 515–30.Google Scholar
- Nelson, J. J. (1975). Relieving select symptoms of the elderly. Geriatrics, 30, 133–42.Google Scholar
- Rao, D. B. and Norris, J. R. (1972). A double-blind investigation of Hydergine in the treatment of cerebrovascular insufficiency in the elderly. Johns Hopkins Med. J., 130, 317–24.Google Scholar
- Robinson, K. (1972). A double-blind clinical trial of naftidrofuryl in cerebrovascular disorders. Med. Dig. Dec, 50–55.Google Scholar
- Scrip (Leading Article) (1985). 1037, 8.Google Scholar
- Tamminga, C. A., Durso, R., Fedro, P. and Chase, T. N. (1982). Vasopressin studies in Alzheimer’s disease. Psycho. Pharmacol. Bull., 18, 48–9.Google Scholar
- Wallace, M. G., Capildeo, R. and Rose, F. C. (1983). Multicentre general practitioner trial of Hydergine in dementia using a screening programme. In Agnoli, A., Crepaldi, G., Spano, P. E. and Trabucci, M. (eds), Aging Brain and Ergot Alkaloids, Raven Press, New York, 339–46.Google Scholar