Laterality and Unconscious Processes
In recent years psychologists have studied the effects of subliminal stimuli on cognitive processes. In this paper I shall briefly outline three paradigms that have been used to study the influence of subliminal stimuli in laboratory settings and I shall present data on the effects of such stimuli on psychophysiological indices. I shall then discuss the use of these paradigms in experiments employing lateralized stimulus presentations. The paper will conclude with the presentation of data obtained by my colleagues and me in a recently completed set of experiments.
KeywordsLeft Hemisphere Lexical Decision Task Electrodermal Response Prime Stimulus Left Visual Field
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brandeis, D.V. and Lehman, D. (1986). Event-related potentials. Neuropsychologia, in press.Google Scholar
- Brody, N. (1983). Human Motivation: Commentary on Goal-Directed Action. Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Brody, N., Goodman, S.E., Halm, E., Krinzman, S. and Sebrechts, M.M. (1986). Lateralized Affective Priming of Lateralized Affectively Valued Target Words. Submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- Davison, R.J. (1984). Affect, Cognition and Hemispheric Specialization. In Emotion, Cognition and Behavior (eds. C.E. Izard, J. Kagan and R. Zajone). Cambridge University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Gazzaniga, M.S. (1985). The Social Brain: Discovering the Networks of the Mind. Basic Books, New York.Google Scholar
- Heilman, K.M., Bowers, D. and Valenstein, E. (1985). Emotional Disorders Associated with Neurological Diseases. In Clinical Neuropsychology. Second Edition (eds. K.M. Heilman and E. Valenstein). Oxford University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Holender, D. (1986). Semantic Activation without Conscious Identification in Dichotic Listening, Parafoveal Vision and Visual Masking: A Survey and Appraisal. Behav. Brain Sci. In press.Google Scholar
- Posner, M.I. (1978). Chronometric Explorations of the Mind. Erlbaum, Hillsdale, N.J.Google Scholar