Haemodynamic Manifestations Of Blood-dialyser Interactions And Their Modification In An Animal Model
Blood-foreign surface interactions occurring in extracorporeal devices such as the artificial kidney may lead to clinically significant problems. One such problem that has been well recognised is the peripheral leucopenia and arterial hypoxaemia that frequently occurs during the first 30 minutes of dialysis (Craddock et al., 1977a; Jacob, 1980). These phenomena have been related to activation of alternate complement pathway activity (Craddock et al., 1977a,b), which results in the pulmonary sequestration of neutrophils (Toren et al., 1970); this, it has been suggested, causes an increased arterial alveolar gradient of oxygen (Mahajan et al., 1977; De Backer et al., 1983). Haemodialysis with membranes of different chemical composition has been demonstrated to result in varying degrees of complement activation, leucopenia and hypoxaemia (Jacob et al., 1980; Shenonda et al., 1981; Hakim and Lowrie, 1982).
KeywordsCellulose Catheter Agar Heparin Histamine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Butsick, E.A., Clyde, C.A., Hudson, P.C., Manion, B.A. and Smith, L.J. (1983). Nursing management of new dialyser syndrome. Am.Ass.Nephrol.Nurs.Techn.J., 10, 38.Google Scholar
- Cestero, R.W.M., Hoy, W.E. and Freeman, R.B. (1975). Anaphylactoid reactions and eosinophilia in patients treated with hollow fiber artificial kidneys (HFAK). Abstr.Am.Soc.artif.intern.Organs, 4, 9.Google Scholar
- Hakim, R.M. and Lowrie, E.G. (1980). The relative effect of leukopenia and dialysate composition on the dialysis-associated hypoxemia. Am.Soc.Nephrol.Abstracts, 13, 40.Google Scholar
- Peterson, M.B., Huttemeier, P.C., Zapol, W.M., Martin, E.G., Watkins, W.D. (1982). Thromboxane mediates acute pulmonary hypertension in sheep extracorporeal perfusion. Am.J.Physiol., 243, H471-H479.Google Scholar
- Shenonda, A.N. Yium, J.J., Paty, J.G. Jr., Miller, F.J., Swafford, D. and Edmons, R. (1981). Effects of hemodialysis on blood oxygen, white blood cell count, platelets and complements by two different membrane dialysers. Am.Soc.Nephrol.Abstracts, 14, 51.Google Scholar
- Walker, J.F., Lindsay, R.M., Peters, S.D., Sibbald, W.J. and Linton, A.L. (1983). A sheep model to examine the cardiopulmonary manifestations of blood-dialyser interactions. Am.Soc.artif.intern.Organs J., 6, 123–130.Google Scholar
- Ziroyannis, P., Thanou, J., Tsantoulis, K., Papathanasiou, E. and Papadoyannakis, N. (1983). Anaphylactic reactions to cuprophan and cellulose acetate membranes. Abstr.Eur.Dialysis Transplant Nurses Ass., 12, 21.Google Scholar