Effects of xylosyladenine and other inhibitors of methylation on induction of murine erythroleukemia cells
DNA methylation is of undetermined purpose in higher organisms, but a significant body of evidence suggests that it may be involved in cell differentiation (for a recent review see Razin and Riggs, 1980). Several examples have been reported where genes for tissue-specific proteins are less methylated in cells expressing these genes than in cells that do not (Waalwijk and Flavell, 1978; Mandel and Chambon, 1979; McGhee and Ginder, 1979; van der Ploeg and Flavell, 1980; Shen and Maniatis, 1980). Furthermore, some agents that interfere with DNA methylation can also induce differentiation in cultured cells (Christman, 1979; Constantinides et al., 1977, 1978; Christman et al., 1977 Taylor and Jones, 1979; Jones and Taylor, 1980).
KeywordsPyrimidine Nucleoside Hemoglobin Synthesis Methionine Adenosyltransferase Transmethylation Reaction Murine Erythroleukemia Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Christman, J.K. (1979). DNA Methylation in Friend Erythroleukemia Cells. In Transmethylation, (eds. E. Usdin, R.T. Borchardt and C.R. Creveling), Elsevier/North Holland, New York.Google Scholar
- Garrett, C. and Kredich, N.M. (1981). Induction of Hemoglobin Synthesis by Xylosyladenine in Murine Erythroleukemia Cells: Metabolism of Xylosyladenine and Effects on Transmethylation. J. Biol. Chem. in press.Google Scholar
- Mandel, J.L. and Chambon, P. (1979). DNA Methylation: Organ Specific Variations in the Methylation Pattern Within and Around Ovalbumin and Other Chicken Genes. Nucl. Acids Res. 7, 2081–2103.Google Scholar
- Singer, J., Roberts-Ems, J., Luthardt, F.W. and Riggs, A.D. (1979). Methylation of DNA in Mouse Early Embryos, Teratocarcinoma Cells and Adult Tissues of Mouse and Rabbit. Nuc. Acids Res. 7, 2369–2385.Google Scholar
- Waalwijk, C. and Flavell, R.A. (1978). DNA Methylation at a CCGG Sequence in the Large Intron of the Rabbit β-Globin Gene: Tissue-Specific Variations. Nucl. Acids Res. 5, 4631–4641.Google Scholar