An Experimental Study of the Effects of Sintering Conditions and Aspect Ratio on the Properties of Upset Iron Compacts
This paper describes results of an extensive experimental study of the effects of sintering conditions and aspect ratio on the properties of quasi-statically compressed cylindrical iron compacts.
The effects of sintering time and sintering temperature on the mechanical properties and deformation characteristics are investigated in terms of impact toughness, fracture tensile stress, hardness, inclusions contents and metallographic analysis.
Sintered iron billets of various height to diameter ratios and initial densities are also tested by performing slow speed upsetting until surface cracks appear. The results are processed to establish the effects of aspect ratio and initial densities on the lateral flow and fracture of the billet and suggestions are made that these observations should be of value to the preform design for sintered iron products.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.HIRSCHHORN, Hoel S., “Introduction to Powder Metallurgy”, APMI, NY, 1969.Google Scholar
- 3.KOCZAK M J and CHUNG H, “The Effects of Elemental Alloying and Sintering Temperature on the Cold Forming of Powder Metallurgy Nickel Steels”. Powder Metallurgy Int. Vol.7, No.2, pp 71–74, 1975.Google Scholar
- 4.PEASE III, LEANDER F., “The Effect of Processing on the Structure and Properties of Powder Metallurgy Materials”. ASM Conf on Powder Metallurgy, 1970, 24 pages.Google Scholar
- 5.MARX J B, DAVIES R, and GUEST T L., “Some Considerations of the Hot Forging of Powder Preforms”. 11th Int. MTDR Conf, 1970, 16 pages.Google Scholar
- 6.KUHN H A and DOWNEY C L., “How Flow and Fracture Affect Design of Preforms for Powder Forging”. Int J Powder Metallurgy and Powder Technology, Vol.10, No.7, pp 59–66, Jan 1974.Google Scholar
- 8.MOYER Kenneth H., “The Effect of Flow on Impact Properties of Hot Formed Iron Powder Preforms”. Progress in Powder Metallurgy, Vol.28, pp 303–312, 1972.Google Scholar
- 9.DOWNEY C L., “Powder Preform Forging — An Analytical and Experimental Approach to Process Design”. PhD Technical Report. Drexel University 1972.Google Scholar