The aim of this final chapter is to bring together the various themes developed earlier, putting them in the perspective of change and reform over the coming decades.
KeywordsInterest Rate Commercial Bank Money Supply Mortgage Market Mortgage Rate
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mortgage Finance in the 1980’s (Building Societies Association), December 1979.Google Scholar
- 2.Evening Standard 6 March 1980, which reported that the building firm John Laing was considering introducing index-linked mortgages.Google Scholar
- 3.Twyford, P., ‘Societies ought to encourage more membership participation’, Building Societies Gazette Vol. cxIII, No. 1351 (February 1980) with a reply from the Anglia, Hastings & Thanet Building Society, pp. 160–1.Google Scholar
- 4.The Times 28 April 1980: ‘Fighting for rights in the building societies’.Google Scholar
- 5.Counter Information Services, The New Technology (1979): The Halifax Building Society progressed from automatic typewriters which they had used for 10 years to a system of 16 IBM word processors. The work force has not been reduced — but the workload has almost trebled. The typists are at the machines all day apart from two 15 minute breaks and a lunch break (p. 11).Google Scholar
- 6.Halifax first with self service cash dispensers at branches’, Building Societies Gazette Vol. cxll, No. 1353 (April 1980), p. 412.Google Scholar
- 7.Mabey, S. and Tillett, P., ‘Building societies: the need for reform’, Bow Paper, 1980 (Bow Group Publications, London, January 1980).Google Scholar
- 8.Building Societies (Re-organisation and Nationalisation) Bill, Debate in the House of Commons on the 2nd Reading of the Bill, Hansard, No. 1066 (4 March 1977).Google Scholar
- 9.Financial Times 9 May 1980: ‘Lawson gives warning on building society rates’, by Andrew Taylor.Google Scholar
- 10.Greenwell’s Monetary Bulletin No. 84 (October 1978) contains the definitions of M4 and M5.Google Scholar
- 11.Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 278–82 (September 1979): ‘Components of private sector liquidity’.Google Scholar
- 1.Committee to Review the Functioning of Financial Institutions (Wilson Committee). Report and Appendices Cmnd. 7937. June 1980. HMSO.Google Scholar
- 2.For example: ‘Wilson Report hits building society “waste”’, Sunday Telegraph, 22 June 1980; ‘Hostile building societies reject Wilson report recommendations’, The Times, 26 June 1980; ‘Wilson recommendations “would boost mortgages”’, The Guardian, 26 June 1980.Google Scholar
- 3.Gough, T. J. and Taylor, T. W., The Building Society Price Cartel.Google Scholar
© T. J. Gough 1982