Hospital Services in Leeds
One of the concessions Aneurin Bevan made to the medical profession in drawing up his plans for the National Health Service was to allow teaching hospitals to be administered separately by boards of governors, combining the function of regional hospital boards and hospital management committees, and in direct contact with the Ministry. It was hoped that these hospitals would become centres of excellence and by their example encourage the adoption of the best clinical practices in each region. They would also, of course, provide research and teaching facilities for university medical schools. In November 1947 the Minister announced that the Leeds teaching hospitals would comprise a small number of hospitals centred around the Leeds General Infirmary (commonly known as the LGI). Collectively these became known as the United Leeds Hospitals.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Notes and References
- 1.The ‘theory’ of disjointed incrementalism is outlined in D. Braybrooke and C. E. Lindblom, A Strategy of Decision (London: Collier Macmillan, 1963).Google Scholar
- 2.E. E. Schattschneider, The Semisovereign People (New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1960) p. 38.Google Scholar
- 3.H. Eason, R. V. Clark and W. H. Harper, Hospital Survey: The Hospital Services of the Yorkshire Area (London: HMSO, 1945).Google Scholar
- 5.P. Bachrach and M.S. Baratz, Power and Poverty (New York: Oxford University Press, 1970) p. 44.Google Scholar
- 6.G. Allison, Essence of Decision (Boston: Little Brown, 1971).Google Scholar
- 7.R. R. Afford, Health Care Politics (University of Chicago Press, 1975).Google Scholar