Vestryman and Borough Councillor
A. G. Edwards, ‘GBS brought Wit, Vigour, and Good By-laws to St Pancras’, Local Government Service, May 1947. Shaw ran unsuccessfully for the St Pancras Vestry (municipal council) in 1894. He was elected unopposed in 1897, and served as vestryman and borough councillor until 1903. A. G. Edwards was an officer of the Vestry at the time. The Vestry had 120 members, the Council seventy. Shaw’s term as vestryman was interrupted by his marriage and long illness (1898–9), but as councillor he was assiduous in attending all council and committee meetings. He was made the first Freeman of the Borough of St Pancras in October 1946.
KeywordsCommittee Meeting Municipal Council Unanimous Vote Council Election Sanitary Inspector
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.