An Experimental Study of Computer Controlled Shear Spinning
Direct computer controlled shear spinning of conical, spherical, parabolic and sinusoidal shapes was performed with 5 inch (127 mm) diameter × 0.063 inch (1.59 mm) and 0.050 inch (1.27 mm) thick blanks of 1100-0 and 6061-0 aluminum. The DNC computer program permitted both easy contouring of the mandrels and the subsequent guidance of the spinning tool dynamometer for various axisymmetric shapes. Evaluation of axial spinning forces and final product thicknesses show that computer control of spinning variables can provide better production methods.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. KALPAKCIOGLU (1960) A Study of Shear Spinnability of Metals, ASME Paper No. 60, WA-187.Google Scholar
- 5.M. HAYAMA (March 1963) On the Study of Metal Spinning, Bulletin of the Eng’g Fac., Vol. 12, Yokohama Nat. Univ., Japan.Google Scholar
- 6.M. HAYAMA (March 1965) Theoretical Study of Tube Spinning, Bulletin of the Eng’g Fac., Vol. 15, Yokohama Nat. Univ., Japan.Google Scholar
- 7.R. A. PAULTON and B. N. COLDING (1958) Two New Industrial Processes for Plastic Deformation of Metals, Inst. of Mech. Engineers, Conf. on Eng’g Manufacturing Technology, Paper No. 57, London.Google Scholar
- 8.R. S. GECKLER (Sept. 1977) Metal Spinning Broadens Capabilities, Machine Design, pp. 92–95.Google Scholar
- 9.J. FRISCH (1972) A Conversational Mode for Direct Numerical Machine Tool Control, Proc. 13th Int. Machine Tool Design and Research Conference, England, pp. 161–166.Google Scholar
- 10.J. FRISCH and P. F. MAHR (1973) On the Use of Analog Digital Conversion During DNC-Metal Cutting, Proc. North American Metalworking Research Conf., Vol. 3, pp. 203–21.Google Scholar
- 11.J. FRISCH and E. MATA-PIETRI (1977) Metal Flow Through Various Mathematically Contoured Extrusion Dies, Proc. North American Metalworking Research Conf., Vol. 5, pp. 99–104.Google Scholar
- 12.H. WENDLER (Jan. 1979) Spinning, Shear and Flow Forming’s Advanced Look, Machine Shop, pp. 111–117.Google Scholar