Capital Stock in UK Manufacturing Industry: Disaggregated Estimates 1947–76
There has been considerable discussion particularly in the theoretical literature concerning the concept of the stock of capital, and, in particular, doubts have been expressed about the validity of attempts to measure capital. Nevertheless, much use is made in empirical work in various areas of estimates of capital stock in industry. The aim of the present paper is not to enter into the controversy but to present estimates of the stock of capital in UK manufacturing industries in more detail than has been available previously.
KeywordsCapacity Utilisation Capital Formation Replacement Cost Road Vehicle Total Stock
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Armstrong, A. G., (1974), Structural Change in the British Economy, 1948–1968, vol. 12 of Stone, R. (ed.), A Programme for Growth, (London: Chapman and Hall).Google Scholar
- Barna, T. (1957), ‘The Replacement Cost of Fixed Assets in British Manufacturing Industry in 1955’, Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, series A, vol. 120, part 1.Google Scholar
- Central Statistical Office, (1977), National Income and Expenditure 1966–76 (London: HMSO).Google Scholar
- Griffin, T. (1975), ‘Revised Estimates of the Consumption and Stock of Fixed Capital’, Economic Trends, no. 264, October (London: HMSO).Google Scholar
- Griffin, T. (1976), ‘The Stock of Fixed assets in the U.K.: How to Make Best Use of the Statistics’, Economic Trends, no. 276, October (London: HMSO ).Google Scholar
- Hibbert, J., Griffin, T. and Walker, J. L. (1977), ‘The Development of Estimates of the Stock of Fixed Assets in the U.K.’ Review of Incomeand Wealth pp. 117–35.Google Scholar
- Maurice, Rita (ed.) (1968), National Accounts Statistics: Sources and Methods (London: HMSO).Google Scholar
- Pané, M. (1976), The U.K. and West German Manufacturing Industry, 1954–72, Monograph 5 (London: HMSO).Google Scholar
- Panic, M. (1978), Capacity Utilisation in Manufacturing Industry, Monograph 6 (London: HMSO).Google Scholar
- Pyatt, G. (1964), Capital, Output and Employment, 1948–1960, vol. 4 of A Programme for Growth (London: Chapman and Hall).Google Scholar
- Redfern, P. (1955) ‘Net Investment in Fixed Assets in the UK, 1938–1958’, Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, series A, vol. 118, part 2.Google Scholar
- Ward, M. P. (1976), The Measurement of Capital: the methodology of Capital Stock Estimates in OECD Countries (Paris: OECD).Google Scholar