European and world history, 1901–75
This chapter is provided as an indication of the influence of warfare, boundary changes and migration upon the mortality patterns of the countries. It is not possible in this kind of work to provide comprehensive details of all aspects of these issues. The notes that follow should serve as a warning of the extent to which these important population changes have affected the various countries. Some general notes are provided and then brief particulars about each of the countries.
KeywordsEastern Portion Forced Migration Iron Curtain Independent Nation Demographic Yearbook
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beijer,G.(1971).Migration to, from, and within Europe. 2554–72 International Population Conference Report, Vol. 4, International Union for the Scientific Study of the Population, Liege.Google Scholar
- Berend, I.T. and Ranki, G. (1974). Economic develop-ment in East-central Europe in the 19th and 20 thcenturies. Columbia University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Gilbert, M. (1966). Modern History Atlas, Weidenfeld andNicolson, London.Google Scholar
- Gilbert, M. (1966). (1970). First World War Atlas, Weidenfeld andNicolson, London.Google Scholar
- International Labour Office (1959). International Migration, 1945–57. ILO, Geneva.Google Scholar
- Jaffe, A.J. (1971). Amount and structure of international migrations, in International Population Conference, Vol. IV. International Union for the Scientific Study of Population, Liege, pp. 2525–35, London, 1969.Google Scholar
- Jones, L.W. (1971). The amount and structure of immigration into Canada and the United States, in International Population Conference Report, Vol. IV. International Union for the Scientific Study of the Population, Liege, pp. 2583–94, London, 1969.Google Scholar
- Lichtheim,J.(1972).Europe in the twentieth century. Weidenfeld and Nicolson, London.Google Scholar
- Registrar General (1966). Statistical Review for England and Wales for 1963, part III. Commentary, pp. 28–38. HMSO, London.Google Scholar
- United Nations(1953).Sex and age of international migrants: statistics for 1918–47. United Nations, New York.Google Scholar
- United Nations(1971). International migration, in Demographic Yearbook, 1970 pp. 748–53, United Nations, New York.Google Scholar
- United Nations (1975). International migration,in Demographic Yearbook, 1974 pp. 290–4, United Nations, New York.Google Scholar