The Tsarist Legacy
In the twenty-five years before the outbreak of the First World War, there were substantial changes in the organisation of science in the industrially developed countries of western Europe and the United States, with a growing proportion of scientific research now taking place outside the universities. The latter, which earlier in the nineteenth century had taken over from the academies and learned societies as the main institutions in science, were now to see their primacy eroded by a new generation of organisations in the form of research institutes and laboratories.
KeywordsNineteenth Century Russian Industry Main Institution Imperial Academy Industrial Research Laboratory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.See Alexander Vucinich, Science in Russian Culture 1861–1917 (Stanford, 1970) especially pp. 183–233.Google Scholar
- 3.See, for example, Xenia Joukoff Eudin, Helen Dwight and Harold H. Fisher (eds), The Life of a Chemist: Memoirs of Vladimir N. Ipatieff (Stanford, 1946) pp. 37–8Google Scholar
- A. S. Fedorov, Tvortsy Nauki o Metalle (Moscow, 1969) p. 117.Google Scholar
- 4.See, for example, the writings of the earth scientist V. I. Vernadskii, Ocheski i Rechi Akad. V. I. Vernadskogo Vol. I (Petrograd, 1922) pp. 45, 151Google Scholar
- M. S. Bastrakova, ‘Organizatsionnye Tendentsii Russkoi Nauki v Nachale XXv.’, in Organizatsiya Nauchnoi Deyatel’nosti (Moscow, 1968) pp. 167–70.Google Scholar
- 6.Dumskaya Fraktsiya Progressistov, Zamechaniya na Smetu Ministerstva Narodnogo Prosveshcheniya (po Povodu Doklada Byudzhetnoi Komissii Gosudarstvennoi Dumy) (St Petersburg, 1914) pp. 18–22.Google Scholar
- 7.See L. Ya. Eventov, Inostrannye Kapitaly v Russkoi Promyshlennosti (Moscow—Leningrad, 1931)Google Scholar
- 10.Vucinich, Science in Russian Culture p. 381, V. V. Danilevskii, Russkaya Tekhnika (Leningrad, 1948) pp. 356, 359–62, 452.Google Scholar
- 17.Bastrakova in Organizatsiya Nauchnoi Deyatel’nosti pp. 177–8, A. V. Kol’tsov, Lenin i Stanovlenie Akademii Nauk Kak Tsentra Sovetskoi Nauki (Leningrad, 1969) pp. 83–4, Vucinich, Science in Russian Culture pp. 220–2.Google Scholar
- 18.V. I. Vernadskii, O Gosudarstvennoi Seti Issledovatel’skikh Institutov v Rossii (Petrograd, 1917) p. 4.Google Scholar