The Scope and Validity of the Schizophrenic Spectrum Concept
It is the purpose of this paper to discuss the contributions of the adoption studies of schizophrenia to our understanding of the nature and extent of the schizophrenia spectrum concept. Most people acquainted with the adoption studies of schizophrenia realize that they have helped distinguish the respective roles of nature and nurture in the etiology of these disorders. What many people have not reflected on is that they also have helped us to document the existence of and define the phenomenology of the “schizophrenic spectrum.” In fact, at present they provide the only logical method for characterizing the schizophrenic spectrum and defining its limits.
KeywordsAssortative Mating Biological Parent Index Group Chronic Schizophrenia Adoption Study
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Kallman, F. J. The Genetics of Schizophrenia. Locust Valley, New York: J. J. Augustin, 1938.Google Scholar
- 3.Kretschmer, E. Physique and Character. New York: Harcourt, Brace & Co., 1923.Google Scholar
- 4.Kety, S. S., Rosenthal, D., Wender, P. H., & Schulsinger, F. The types and prevalence of mental illness in the biological and adoptive families of adopted schizophrenics. In Rosenthal, D., and Kety, S. S. (Eds.), The Transmission of Schizophrenia. Oxford: Pergamon Press, 1968, pp. 345–362.Google Scholar
- 5.Kety, S. S., Rosenthal, D., Wender, P. H., Schulsinger, F., & Jacobsen, B. Mental illness in the biological and adoptive families of adopted individuals who have become schizophrenic: A preliminary report based upon psychiatric interviews. In Fieve, R., Rosenthal, D., and Brill, H. (Eds.), Genetic Research in Psychiatry. Baltimore and London: The Johns Hopkins University Press, 1975, pp. 147–165.Google Scholar
- 7.Rosenthal, D., Wender, P. H., Kety, S. S., Schulsinger, F., Weiner, J., & Ostergaard, L. Schizophrenics’ offspring reared in adoptive homes. In The Transmission of Schizophrenia, op. cit., pp. 377–391.Google Scholar
- 9.Rosenthal, D. The concept of subschizophrenic disorders. In Fieve, R. R., Rosenthal, D, and Brill, H. (Eds.), Genetic Research in Psychiatry. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins Press, 1975, pp. 199–208.Google Scholar
- 10.Wender, P. H. Schizophrenics’ adopting parents: Psychiatric status. Paper read at the Annual Meeting of the American Psychiatric Association, Anaheim, California, May 1975.Google Scholar