Collaboration and Discord 1950–1956
The pattern of progress towards greater intimacy in Anglo-American defence relations, apart from atomic energy, continued in the early 1950s. As the period developed, however, a cyclical relapse occurred as important political-military differences began to emerge. These differences culminated in 1956 with the serious rupture at Suez which shook the alliance between the two countries to its very foundations. During the period leading up to Suez atomic energy once again was to remain the big exception to the general pattern of events. Ironically, despite the continuing difficulties over nuclear matters in the early part of the period, as friction began to appear in other areas of the relationship, important agreements were reached in atomic cooperation which helped to lay the foundations for a genuine renewal of the wartime partnership later in the decade.
KeywordsAtomic Energy Fissile Material American Government Nuclear Submarine Nuclear Deterrence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.R. Rose, The Relation of Socialist Principles to British Labour Foreign Policy, 1945–51 (unpublished D.Phil. thesis, Oxford 1959), pp.333–4.Google Scholar
- 12.R.B. Manderson-Jones, The Special Relationship: Anglo-American Relations and Western European Union 1947–56 ( London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 1972 ), p. 75.Google Scholar
- see B. Porter, Britain and the Rise of Communist China (London: Oxford University Press, 1967) and R. Boardman, Britain and the People’s Republic of China 1959–74 (London: Macmillan, 1976).Google Scholar
- 22.H. Macmillan, Tides of Fortune, 1945–55 ( London: Macmillan, 1969 ), p. 499.Google Scholar
- 61.See for example S. Lloyd, Suez 1956: A Personal Account ( London: Jonathan Cape, 1978 );Google Scholar
- H. Thomas, The Suez Affair ( London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 1966 );Google Scholar
- K. Love, Suez, the Twice-Fought War ( London: Longmans, 1970 );Google Scholar
- C. Pineau, 1956 Suez ( Paris: R.Lamont, 1976 );Google Scholar
- M. Dayan, Diary of the Sinai Campaign (London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 1966) and Story of My Life ( London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 1976 );Google Scholar
- A.J. Barker, Suez: The Seven Days War ( London: Faber & Faber, 1967 ).Google Scholar
- 62.See R. Fullick and G. Powell, Suez: The Double War ( London: Hamish Hamilton, 1979 ), p. 36.Google Scholar