Wither the Atmosphere and Earth’s Climates?
After a series of climatic anomalies from about 1968 onwards, with serious consequences on human welfare and economy, the problem of man-made or man-triggered climatic variability has reached general attention. For the time being we ought perhaps to avoid the term ‘climatic change’, which should be restricted to major changes (as between an ice-age and a warm interglacial period), although this is a matter of definition and of the time-scale under consideration. Rather do we prefer the term ‘climatic fluctuations’ for short-living (e.g. interannual) deviations, and the term ‘climatic variation’ for such changes as have been observed, using 30-years-averages, since the beginning of instrumental observations—;that is, after A.D.. 1650.
KeywordsClimatic System Arctic Ocean Nuclear Energy Surface Albedo Greenhouse Effect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baumgartner, A. & Reichel, E. (1975). The World Water Balance. R. Oldenbourg, Munich: 179 pp.Google Scholar
- Bergthorsson, P. (1969). Jökull, 19, pp. 94–101.Google Scholar
- Bolin, B. (1975). Energy and Climate. Secretariat for Future Studies. Stockholm: 55 pp.Google Scholar
- Budyko, M. J. (1974). Izmenenija Klimata. Gidrometeoizdat. Leningrad: 260pp.Google Scholar
- Flohn, H. (1973b). Globale Energiebilanz und Klimaschwankungen. Bonner Meteor. Abhandl., 19, 43 pp.Google Scholar
- Hare, F. K. (1976). Climate and Desertification. Component Review for the United Nations Conference on Desertification. Institute for Environmental Studies, Toronto, Canada: 189 pp., illustr. (mimeogr.).Google Scholar
- Kellogg, W. W. (1976). Effects of Human Activities on Global Climate. WMO Bulletin, 26, pp. 229–40 and 27, pp. 3–10.Google Scholar
- Kreuels, R., Fraedrich, K. & Ruprecht, E. (1975). An aerological climatology of South America. Meteor. Rundsch., 28, pp. 17–24.Google Scholar
- Lvovich, M. J. (1969). Water Resources for the Future [in Russian]. Gidrometeoizdat, Moscow.Google Scholar
- Mitchell, J. Murray, Jr. (1977). Environmental Data Service Magazine, March 1977.Google Scholar
- National Academy of Sciences (1975). Understanding Climatic Change. National Academy of Sciences, Washington, DC: xv + 239 pp., 52 figs.Google Scholar
- Sawyer, J. S. (1965). Notes on the possible physical causes of long-term weather anomalies. WMO Technical Note, 66, pp. 227–48.Google Scholar
- SMIC Report (1971). Inadvertent Climate Modification. Report of the Study of Man’s Impact on Climate (SMIC). MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts: 308 pp.Google Scholar
- Synnott, T. J. (1977). Monitoring Tropical Forests: A Review with Special Reference to Africa. Monitoring and Assessment Centre of SCOPE, Report No. 5.Google Scholar
- WMO Technical Committee Panel of Experts (1977). Technical Report. WMO Bulletin, 26, pp. 50–5.Google Scholar
- WMO-ICSU Joint Organizing Committee (1975). The Physical Basis of Climate and Climate Modelling. GARP Publication Series No. 16, Geneva: xxiii + 265 pp., 96 figs.Google Scholar