The previous chapter ended with the publication of Karl Marx in 1938. This was to be Korsch’s last major work, although until 1946 he continued to write a certain number of articles each year, but no more books. Thereafter, he published very little, his last article appearing in 1954, seven years before his death. This whole period covers twenty-three years, longer than that between What is Socialisation? (1919) and Karl Marx (1938), yet to deal with it fully requires a much shorter chapter than any previous one. Why was this period so barren? There are, I feel, two main reasons for this: the difficulties he encountered in emigration, and the lack of an influential Marxist movement during his years in the USA. I shall deal with these factors before examining his writings of this period.
KeywordsMajor Work Class Struggle Socialist Party Political Form Marxist Theory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.See F. Neumann et al., The Cultural Migration (Philadelphia, 1953), p. 18.Google Scholar
- 3.L. Fermi, Illustrious Immigrants (Chicago, 1968), p. 29.Google Scholar
- 7.Korsch, ‘Thesen über Ökonomie und Politik’ (1935), Theses 3, 21; in KM (G), p. 217.Google Scholar
- 8.Korsch and Lewin, ‘Mathematical Constructs in Psychology and Sociology’, Journal of Unified Science (1939), pp. 113–21. Lewin’s Die Sozialisierung des Taylorsystems (Berlin, ?1920) had appeared in Korsch’s series ‘Praktischer Sozialismus’.Google Scholar
- 23.Korsch, ‘Revolution for What?, a Critical Comment on Jan Valtin’s Out of the Night’, Living Marxism (1941), p. 27.Google Scholar
- 24.Korsch, ‘Prelude to Hitler’, Living Marxism (1940), p. 14.Google Scholar
- 25.Korsch, ‘The Fascist Counter-revolution’, Living Marxism (1940), p. 33.Google Scholar
- 27.Korsch, ‘The Structure and Practice of Totalitarianism’, New Essays (1942), pp. 47, 48.Google Scholar
- 51.R. Rosdolsky, The Making of Marx’s ‘Capital’ (London, 1977).Google Scholar
- 58.G. E. Rusconi, ‘Introduction to What is Socialisation?’, New German Critique, no. 6 (1975), p. 50.Google Scholar
- 59.L. Trotsky, The Platform of the Left Opposition (1927) (London, 1963), p. 87.Google Scholar
- 62.Korsch, ‘Marxism and the Present Task of the Proletarian Class Struggle’, Living Marxism (1938), p. 118.Google Scholar