In a recent lecture Professor Galbraith reviewed the arms competition between the USA and the USSR. He produced two contrasting reasons for this competition. The first, the more conventional, is that the present situation is the result of ‘an irreconcilable conflict between inherently hostile systems’. His second reason is that there is ‘a symbiotic relationship’ between the military forces and the arms manufacturers, each relying on the other for their existence and subsequent growth. Accepting this fact, there could also be a similar relationship between the two super powers.
KeywordsBuilding Programme Ballistic Missile Surface Ship General Staff Aircraft Carrier
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- John E. Moore (Captain R.N.), The Soviet Navy Today (London, 1975)Google Scholar
- Jane’s Fighting Ships (ed. John E. Moore,). Annual publication (London, Macdonald & Jane’s)Google Scholar
- Soviet Oceans Development (US Government Printing Office, Washington, October 1976)Google Scholar
- V.I. Achkasov and N.B. Pavlovich, Sovetskoe voenno-morskoe iskusstvo v Velikoi Otechestvennoi voine (Moscow, Voenizdat, 1973.)Google Scholar
- N.A. Brusentsev, Voenno-morskaya aviatsiya (Moscow, Voenizdat, 1976.)Google Scholar
- S.G. Gorshkov (Admiral of Fleet SU), Morskaya moshch’ gosudarstva, (Moscow, Voenizdat, 1976)Google Scholar
- V.M. Grishanov (Admiral, ed.), Voina okean chelovek. 0 moral’no politicheskoi i psikhologicheskoi podgotovke sovetskikh voennykh moryakov (Moscow, Voenizdat, 1974)Google Scholar
- I.N. Potapov, Razvitie voenno-morskikhftotov v poslevoennyi period (Moscow, Voenizdat, 1971)Google Scholar
- Spravochnik starshiny i michmana VMF (Moscow, Voenizdat, 1976)Google Scholar
- V. Sysoev (Admiral), ‘15o let Voenno-morskoi Adademii’, Morskoi Sbornik (1977), No. 1, pp. 7–12.Google Scholar
- S.E. Zakharov (Admiral), Istoriya voenno-morskogo iskusstva, (issued under the auspices of Glavnyi Shtab VMF) (Moscow, Voenizdat, 1969)Google Scholar