Four Approaches to Policy
The anatomy of economic debate in parliament at this time cannot be drawn in terms of the thrust and counterthrust of marshalled ranks of government and opposition. On most issues of commercial and social policy there were significant divisions among both Whigs and Tories. Many members quite freely hewed an independent line, and it was common for speakers to congratulate each other on the absence of ‘party spirit’ in the conduct of discussion.
KeywordsEconomic Debate British Economy Commutative Justice Economic Doctrine Economic Analyst
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. J. White, Waterloo to Peterloo ( Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1968 ) 59.Google Scholar
- 2.Jacob Viner, The Intellectual History of Laissez Faire (The University of Chicago Law School, Henry Simons Lectures No. 2, 1961) 45.Google Scholar
- 3.William D. Grampp, Economic Liberalism, Vol. II: The Classical View ( New York: Random House, 1965 ) 61–2.Google Scholar
- 4.Gerrit P. Judd, Members of Parliament,1734–1832 ( New Haven: Yale University Press, 1955 ) 71.Google Scholar
- 5.Quoted in A. S. Turberville, The House of Lords in the Age of Reform,1784–1837 ( London: Faber, 1958 ) 170.Google Scholar
- 8.Lord Ashburton, The Financial and Commercial Crisis Considered, 2nd ed. ( London: Murray, 1847 ) 27.Google Scholar
- 10.Lionel Robbins, The Theory of Economic Policy in English Classical Political Economy ( London: Macmillan, 1965 ) 171–2.Google Scholar
- 14.For detail, see D. P. O’Brien, J. R. McCulloch, a Study in Classical Economics ( London: Allen and Unwin, 1970 ) 49–51;Google Scholar
- Elie Halévy, The Liberal Awakening, 1815–1830 ( London: Benn, 1961 ) 193–4.Google Scholar
- 16.Cf. Sir Ivor Jennings, Party Politics, Vol. 3 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1962 ) 354.Google Scholar
- 23.Consult Mark Blaug, Ricardian Economics, a Historical Study ( New Haven: Yale University Press, 1958 ) 52–8.Google Scholar
- 25.Quoted in William Smart, Economic Annals of the Nineteenth Century, 1821–1830, Vol. 2 ( New York: Kelley, 1964 ) 347.Google Scholar