Applications of deuterium labelling in pharmacokinetic and concentration-effect studies of clonidine
- 80 Downloads
Clonidine 2-(2,6-dichlorophenylamino)-2-imidazoline, Catapres (Figure 4.1), is a potent hypotensive agent widely used in the treatment of patients with high blood pressure (Conolly, 1975). Data from experiments in animals suggest that the hypotensive action of clonidine is predominantly due to stimulation of alpha-adrenoceptors in the central nervous system (Kobinger, 1975), resulting in a reduction of activity in sympathetic nerves (Schmitt and Schmitt, 1969). A similar mechanism probably operates in man, since clonidine does not lower blood pressure in patients with chronic cervical spinal cord transection (Reid et al., 1977). The use of clonidine in the clinic is limited because it consistently causes dry mouth and sedation which also probably arise from the drug’s effects within the central nervous system (Rand, Rush and Wilson, 1969).
KeywordsHypotensive Effect Hypertensive Subject Salivary Flow Normotensive Subject Hypotensive Action
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Conolly, M. E. (1975). Central Action of Drugs in Blood Pressure Regulation (ed. D. S. Davies and J. L. Reid), Pitman Medical, London, p. 268Google Scholar
- Davies, D. S., Wing, L. M. H., Reid, J. L., Neill, E., Tippett, P. and Dollery, C. T. (1977). Clin. Pharmacol. Ther., 21, 593Google Scholar
- Dollery, C. T., Davies, D. S., Draffan, G. H., Dargie, H. J., Dean, C. R., Reid, J. L., Clare, R. A. and Murray, S. (1976). Clin. Pharmacol. Ther., 19, 11Google Scholar
- Draffan, G. H., Clare, R. A., Murray, S., Bellward, G. D., Davies, D. S. and Dollery, C. T. (1976). Advances in Mass Spectrometry in Biochemistry and Medicine, Vol. 2 (ed. A. Frigerio), Spectrum Publications, New York, p. 389Google Scholar
- Kobinger, W. (1975). Central Action of Drugs in Blood Pressure Regulation (ed. D. S. Davies and J. L. Reid), Pitman Medical, London, p. 181Google Scholar
- Mroczek, W. J., Davidov, M. and Finnerty, F. A. (1973). Clin. Pharmacol. Ther., 14, 847Google Scholar
- Rehbinder, D. (1970). Catapres in Hypertension (ed. M. E. Conolly), Butterworths, London, p. 227Google Scholar
- Reid, J. L., Wing, L. M. H., Mathias, C. J., Frankel, H. L. and Neill, E. (1977). Clin. Pharmacol. Ther., 21, 375Google Scholar
- Wing, L. M. H., Reid, J. L., Davies, D. S., Neill, E. A., Tippett, P. and Dollery, C. T. (1977b). To be publishedGoogle Scholar