Impact of the Oil Crisis on the Energy Situation in Western Europe
The oil crisis that broke at the end of 1973 hit the countries of Western Europe especially hard.1 Its initial shock, and the disruption it caused, underscored the role of imported oil in the economic life of those countries.2 Yet this stark reality contrasted greatly with the position of only a decade or so before when indigenous sources provided the bulk of Western Europe’s energy requirements. Any assessment of the West European situation must therefore begin with the question: How did Western Europe arrive at this state of affairs? And how, and indeed why, has it become so heavily dependent on oil?
KeywordsEnergy Policy Coal Industry North Atlantic Treaty Organisation West European Country Nuclear Electricity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Notes and References
- 1.This chapter draws together the material specifically relating to Western Europe in George F. Ray, Western Europe and the Energy Crisis, Thames Essay no. 6 (London: Trade Policy Research Centre, 1975).Google Scholar
- 2.For an account of the developments which precipitated the oil crisis, see Frank McFadzean, “Economic Implications of the Energy Crisis”, in Hugh Corbet and Robert Jackson (eds), In Search of a New World Economic Order (London: Croom Helm, for the Trade Policy Research Centre,. 1974).Google Scholar
- 3.Christopher Tugendhat and Adrian Hamilton, Oil: the Biggest Business (London: Eyre Methuen, 1975).Google Scholar
- 8.Andrew Shonfield, Modern Capitalism (London: Oxford University Press, 1965).Google Scholar
- 12.Christopher Hill, Reformation to Industrial Revolution (London: Penguin-Pelican, 1969) p. 88.Google Scholar
- 13.Max Weber, General Economic History (London: Allen & Unwin, 1923).Google Scholar
- 21.Asa Briggs, Technology and Economic Development (London: Penguin-Pelican, 1956) p. 16.Google Scholar
- 22.O. Stewart, Aviation: The Creative Ideas (London: Faber, 1966) p. 205.Google Scholar
- 23.Colin Robinson and Elizabeth M. Crook, “Is There a World Energy Crisis?”, National Westminster Bank Quarterly Review, London, May 1973.Google Scholar