There is a little volume in the series known as the Home University Library entitled The English Language. It is rather more than sixty years old now, but it is a book I always recommend very strongly to anyone who either enjoys words already or is anxious to begin enjoying them. But what does one mean when one speaks of ‘enjoying’ words?
KeywordsOxford Dictionary Paradise Lost Word Polarity Firework Display Prose Writing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Coleridge on Shakespeare …, ed. R. A. Foakes (1972) p. 72 (cf. Sh C II 124–5).Google Scholar
- 16.M. Bréal, Semantics, tr. M. Cust (1900) p. 129.Google Scholar
- 17.Andrew Young, A Retrospect of Flowers (1950) p. 31.Google Scholar
- 21.S. W. Alexander, Space, Time and Deity (1927) i 12.Google Scholar
- 57.Leigh Hunt, Autobiography, ed. R. Ingpen (1903) ii 54 (interpolation by T. L. Hunt). Quoted Deschamps 281n.Google Scholar