The Application of Economic Analysis to the Management of Water Quality: Some Case Studies
Efforts to apply economic analysis to environmental management problems are rather new — although not quite so new as the recent flurry of activity in this area might lead one to suppose. The first book presenting reasonably serious efforts to use economic analysis in connection with water quality problems appeared in 1961 . Following this, during the 1960s, several case studies using an economics framework were done in important American river basins. As a matter of fact, that decade was a rich period for economic studies of water quality management and I have chosen to discuss a couple of these in some detail. They are the studies of the Delaware estuary and of the Potomac river basin. I have selected these because they are important and because I had some direct involvement in both of them. I shall comment on a few other studies more generally.
KeywordsMigration Phenol Sludge Sodium Chloride Respiration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kneese, A. V., Water Pollution: Economic Aspects and Research Needs, 4th ed. (Resources for the Future, Washington, D.C., 1970).Google Scholar
- Fair, G. M., Geyer, J. C., and Okun, D. A., Water and Wastewater Engineering (Wiley, New York, 1968) vol. 2.Google Scholar
- Davidson, P., Adams, F. G., and Seneca, J., ‘The Social Value of Water Recreation Facilities Resulting from an Improvement in Water Quality: The Delaware Estuary’, in Kneese, A. V., and Smith, S. C. (eds.), Water Research (Johns Hopkins Press, Baltimore, 1966).Google Scholar
- Federal Water Pollution Control Administration, Report on the Effluent Charge Study (F.W.P.C.A., mimeo, 1966).Google Scholar
- Schaumberg, G. W., Jr., Water Pollution Control in the Delaware Estuary (Harvard University Water Program, mimeo, 1967).Google Scholar
- Bramhall, D. F., and Mills, E. S., Future Water Supply and Demand (Maryland State Planning Dept., 1965).Google Scholar
- Davis, R. K., The Range of Choice in Water Management (Johns Hopkins Press, Baltimore, 1968).Google Scholar