The Comecon countries’ approach to economic development and technology in general cannot be properly understood without appreciating their determination to pursue industrialization. In the leading Western countries the process of industrial development was essentially an outcome of historical accidents, private initiative and a variety of favourable circumstances. Although governments — to varying extents in different countries — fostered the establishment and growth of manufacturing, their actions were often a result of pressure by influential groups or were conditioned by goals of limited scope. On the other hand, the Socialist policies have been more determined and systematic, pursued on a planned basis and guided not only by current needs but also by long-run objectives of a broader economic, social and political nature.
KeywordsIndustrial Output Capitalist Country United Nations Industrial Development Organization Monthly Bulletin Standard International Trade Classification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.A. Ptocica (ed.), Strategia intensywnego rozwoju (Strategy of Intensive Development), Warsaw, PWE, 1970, p. 8.Google Scholar
- 16.Based on: Maria Hildt (ed.), Potencjal obronno-gospodarczy panstw Ukladu Warszawskiego (Defence and Economic Potential of the Warsaw Pact Countries), Warsaw, MON, 1971, p. 140; Minerals Yearbook 1971, Washington, US Bureau of Mines, 1973, vol. 1, p. 159; Rocznik statystyczny 1971, p. 671.Google Scholar
- 17.J. Kleer, Wzrost intensywny w krajach socjalistycznych (Intensive Growth in the Socialist Countries), Warsaw, CBZZ, 1972, p. 114.Google Scholar
- 18.W. Iskra and W. Kisiel, RWPG: Integracja gospodarcza (Economic Integration in Comecon), Warsaw, KiW, 1971, p. 48.Google Scholar
- 31.B. Kempiński, Przemysł elektroniczny w europejskich krajach socjalistycznych (Electronic Industry in the European Socialist Countries), Warsaw, CIINTE, 1968, p. 4.Google Scholar
- 51.N. A. Tsagolov (ed.), Kurs politicheskoi ekonomii (A Textbook of Political Economy), Moscow, IEL, 1963, vol. 11, p. 476.Google Scholar
- 68.A. Tarczewski, Prognozy stosoivania tworzyw sztucznych w budownictwie (Projections for the Use of Synthetic Materials in Construction), Warsaw, CIINTE, 1972, p. 11.Google Scholar