By the end of 1534 the recognition in law of the Church of England under a royal Supreme Head had been achieved by Cromwell’s legislation. The conflict between the spiritualty and the temporalty had been resolved, at least in theory, and in practice the clergy were now treated as the subjects of the King. Under its Supreme Head the Church of England, it was officially held, had been restored to its historic independence of all foreign potentates. It still remained, however, to enforce the statutes which removed the authority of Rome and to formulate and administer the policies of the Supremacy. Cromwell had given constitutional meaning to Henry’s Supreme Headship and he was anxious to influence the exercise of the royal power over the Church.
KeywordsReligious Order Royal Commission Catholic Faith Parish Church Poor Relief
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C.S. Kitching, ‘Probate Jurisdiction of Thomas Cromwell as Vicegerent’, BIHR, XLVI (1973), 102–6.Google Scholar
- 3.H. Gee and W.J. Hardy, Documents Illustrative of English Church History (1910), 269; Statutes of the Realm, III, 427–8; Merriman, Life and Letters, II, 197.Google Scholar
- 7.Elton, Reform & Renewal, 133–35; F.D. Logan, ‘The Henrician Canons’, BIHR, XLVII (1974), 99–103.Google Scholar
- 8.J. Phillips, The Reformation of Images: Destruction of Art in England 1535–1660 (1973), 1–81; C. Pythian-Adams, ‘Ceremony and the Citizen’.Google Scholar
- 10.‘England in the Reign of Henry VIII: Starkey’s Life and Letters’, ed. S.J. Herrtage, EETS, XXXII (1878), liii–lix.Google Scholar
- 13.N. Orme, English Schools in the Middle Ages (1973), 254; Gee and Hardy, Documents Illustrative of English Church History, 271, 278, 272, 277, 276.Google Scholar
- 15.J. F. Mozley, Coverdale and his Bibles (1953), 115, 125;Google Scholar
- S.L. Greenslade, ed., Cambridge History of the Bible (Cambridge 1963), II, 141–51.Google Scholar
- 17.M. Deansley, The Lollard Bible (Cambridge 1966), 351–73; Gee and Hardy, Documents Illustrative of English Church History, 279.Google Scholar
- 18.English Historical Documents 1485–1558 (1967), ed. C.H. Williams, V, 795–805.Google Scholar