Development and Testing of Prosthetic Heart Valves: Cardiovascular Simulation and Life Support Systems
The major part of this paper deals with the design, development and testing of flexible leaflet prosthetic heart valves. Other applications of the valves are indicated so as to give as complete a picture as possible of the likely biomedical uses of this type of valve. Various in vitro test rigs have been developed to evaluate the performance of these valves including a simulator for the left side action of the heart. Details of this equipment are given as they may be of interest to others working in this field.
KeywordsPulmonary Artery Pressure Fatigue Failure Prosthetic Valve Leaflet Valve Prosthetic Heart Valve
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bellhouse, B. J. 1972: The fluid mechanics of aortic and mitral valves. In ‘Developments in Biomedical Engineering’ (Ed. M. M. Black). Chatto and Windus for Sussex University Press.Google Scholar
- Carpentier, A. et al. 1971: Collagen-derived heart valves. J. thorac. cardiovasc. Surg. 62: 5: 707.Google Scholar
- Denton, G. R. 1951: A plastic prosthesis without moving parts for the A.V. valves. Proc. Surg. Forum. Clinical Congress, College of Surgeons, 1950: 239. Saunders, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- Gott, V. L. et al .1964: A hinged-leaflet valve for total replacement of the human aortic valve. J. thorac. cardiovasc. Surg. 48: 713.Google Scholar
- Hufnagel, C. A. et al. 1954: Surgical correction of aortic insufficiency. Surgery 35: 673.Google Scholar
- Melrose, D. G. et al. 1972: Oscillating silicone membrane tubes: a new principle of extracorporeal respiration. Bio-Medical Engineering, 7: 2: 60.Google Scholar
- Roe, B. B., and Moore, D. 1958: Design and fabrication of prosthetic valves. Experimental Medicine and Surgery 16: 177.Google Scholar
- Wright, J. T. M. 1972: The heart, its valves and their replacement. Bio-Medical Engineering 7: 1:26.Google Scholar