Political Behaviour and Political Forces
As already stated, the history of Sinhalese-Tamil wars serves as a constant reminder to the Sinhalese of the dangers from the Dravidian foe.
KeywordsGeneral Election Political Party Prime Minister Foreign Policy Trade Union
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.For a diligent exposition by a westerner see Richard F. Gombrich, Precept and Practice: Traditional Buddhism in the Rural Highlands of Ceylon (Oxford, 1971). The chapters ‘Total Responsibility in Theory and Practice’ (pp. 214–43) and ‘The Ethic of Intention’ (pp. 244–68) are particularly useful.Google Scholar
- 8.For the most thorough and analytical examination of parties in Ceylon see Calvin A. Woodward, The Growth of a Party System in Ceylon (Providence, 1969).Google Scholar
- 14.For the account of the causes of the U.N.P.’s defeat, etc. see I. D. S. Weerawardena, The Ceylon General Election 1956 (Colombo, 1960).Google Scholar
- Also W. Howard Wriggins, Ceylon: Dilemmas of a New Nation (Princeton, N.J., 1960), pp. 326–69.Google Scholar
- 15.See Wriggins, Ceylon, and Donald E. Smith, ‘The Sinhalese Buddhist Revolution’, in Donald E. Smith (ed.), South Asian Politics and Religion (Princeton, 1966).Google Scholar
- 29.For a vivid and authentic account of these riots, see T. Vittachi, Emergency ’58: the story of the Ceylon race riots (London, 1958).Google Scholar
- 33.S. Ponniah’s, Satyagaraha and the Freedom Movement of the Tamils in Ceylon (Jaffna, Ceylon, 1963), provides the fullest account of the events of 1961.Google Scholar
- 45.See political pamphlet by Dr Colvin R. de Silva, Their Politics and Ours (Colombo, 1954).Google Scholar
- 60.Best expressed in the pages of 25 Tears of the Ceylon Communist Party. Also refer Basil Perera, Pieter Keuneman — A Profile (Colombo, 1967), pp. 55–79.Google Scholar
- 64.See Leslie Goonewardene, ‘New Outlook of the L.S.S.P.’, in Ceylon Daily News, 21 December 1970.Google Scholar
- See also V. Karalasingham, ‘An L.S.S.P. Viewpoint: What Should be Today’s Slogans’, in Ceylon Daily News, 2 September 1970 and the full text of the resolution of the Central Committee of the L.S.S.P. in Ceylon Daily News, 2 September 1971.Google Scholar
- 65.See (Mrs) V. K. Jayawardene, The Rise of the Labour Movement in Ceylon (Durham, North Carolina, 1972),Google Scholar
- and R. N. Kearney, Trade Unions and Politics in Ceylon (Berkeley, 1971).Google Scholar
© A. Jeyaratnam Wilson 1974