The Theory of Nominal Tariffs
Because of its long chronicle, the theory of nominal tariffs has earned a pivotal place in the literature on the pure theory of international trade. Historically, the main concern of this theory has been with the implications of tariffs on the imports of final products, and it is only recently that the trade theorist has begun to explore the implications of tariffs on the imports of intermediate products, despite their existence in practice for centuries. The fast-proliferating literature concerned with the latter question is surveyed in the chapter on effective protection; the present chapter is concerned solely with the issues arising from the imposition of nominal tariffs.
KeywordsInternational Trade Home Country Free Trade Tariff Rate Import Demand
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Graham, F. D., ‘Some Aspects of Protection Further Considered’, Quarterly Journal of Economics, xxxix (Feb 1925) 324–30.Google Scholar
- ]Graham, F. D., The Theory of International Values (Princeton U.P., 1948 ).Google Scholar
- Johnson, H. G., International Trade and Economic Growth (London: Allen & Unwin, 1958) chap. ii.Google Scholar
- Jones, R. W., ‘Tariffs and Trade in General Equilibrium: Comment’, American Economic Review, lix (June 1969) 418–24.Google Scholar
- Kemp, M. C., The Pure Theory of International Trade ( Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall, 1964 ).Google Scholar
- Kemp, M. C., The Pure Theory of International Trade and Investment (Englewood Cliffs,N.J.: Prentice-Hall, 1969).Google Scholar
- Marshall, A., The Pure Theory of Foreign Trade ( London: London School of Economics and Political Science, 1949 ).Google Scholar
- ]Marshall, A., Money, Credit, and Commerce ( London: Macmillan, 1923 ).Google Scholar
- Mill, J. S., Principles of Political Economy (London: Longmans, Green, 1909 ).Google Scholar
- Södersten, B. and Vind, K., ‘Tariffs and Trade in General Equilibrium’, American Economic Review lviii (June 1968) 394–408.Google Scholar
- Stolper, W. F., and Samuelson, P. A., ‘Protection and Real Wages’, Review of Economic Studies, ix (Nov 1941) 58–73.Google Scholar