Personal Income Distribution and Personal Savings in Pakistan
One of the objectives of Pakistan’s Third Five-Year Plan is ‘to make substantial progress towards achieving certain specific social objectives such as diminishing inequalities in the distribution of income...’ [4, p. 39]. The main purpose of the present study is to measure these inequalities. As the basic source we have used provides data on private consumption as well as on personal income, some rough calculations on personal savings (as residuals) have been included in this paper.
KeywordsCapita Income Income Distribution Personal Income Saving Rate Lorenz Curve
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ahmed, Syed Aftab, ‘Some Methodological Problems in Consumer Expenditure Surveys’, mimeographed paper read at the CENTO Symposium on Household Surveys in Dacca, 25 Apr-2 May 1966.Google Scholar
- Pakistan, Central Statistical Office, Monthly Statistical Bulletin, Sep. 1966.Google Scholar
- Farooq, G. M., The People of Karachi: Economic Characteristics, monographs in the Economics of Development no. 15 (Karachi: Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, July 1966).Google Scholar
- Pakistan, Planning Commission, The Third Five-Year Plan (1965–70) (Karachi: Manager of Publications, June 1965).Google Scholar
- Griffin, Keith B., ‘Financing Development Plans in Pakistan’, Pakistan Development Review, y 4, winter 1965. Also see chap. 1 of this volume.Google Scholar
- Haq, Khadija, ‘A Measurement of Inequality in Urban Personal Income Distribution in Pakistan’, Pakistan Development Review, iv, 4, winter 1964.Google Scholar
- Khan, Taufiq M., ‘Capital Formation in Pakistan’, in Khan, Taufiq M. (ed.), Middle Eastern Studies in Income and Wealth (London: Bowes & Bowes, 1965).Google Scholar
- Khan, Taufiq M. and Asbjorn Bergan, ‘Measurement of Structural Change in the Pakistan Economy: A Review of the National Income Estimates 1949/50 to 1963/64’, Pakistan Development Review, vi, 2, summer 1966.Google Scholar
- Pakistan, Ministry of Home and Kashmir Affairs, Home Affairs Division, Census of Pakistan Population 1961 vol. i (Karachi: Manager of Publications).Google Scholar
- Lewis, Stephen R., Jr., and Khan, M. I., ‘Estimates of Noncorporate Private Savings in Pakistan: 1949–1962’, Pakistan Development Review, iv, 1, spring 1964.Google Scholar