A Person’s Future and the Mind-Body Problem
In this paper I shall attempt to throw light on the role of the concept of future in our understanding of the notion of personal identity, which I hope will help to do something to solve some difficulties in the mind—body problem.
KeywordsCorpus Callosum Personal Identity Body Problem Correct Description Live Body
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.See, for instance, W. Sellars, in ‘The Identity Approach to the Problem’, in Review of Metaphysics (March 1965), who is sceptical about the value of formulating the problem in this way.Google Scholar
- 2.Thomas Nagel, ‘Physicalism’, in Philosophical Review (July 1965), who is sympathetic to this way of stating the claim.Google Scholar
- 2.Cf. D. Wiggins, Identity and Spatio-Temporal Continuity (1967) p. 4g.Google Scholar
- 1.C. A. van Peursen, Body, Soul, Spirit, English ed., trans. H. H. Hoskins (1966) p. 128.Google Scholar
- 1.Cf. e.g. Keith Donnellan, ‘Knowing What I am Doing’, Journal of Philosophy (1963).Google Scholar