Balance of Payments Policy : The Pursuit of External Balance
In this chapter we shall use the theoretical material presented earlier, especially the material of Chapter 3, as a basis for discussing the attainment of the second of our four objectives — the objective of external balance. As in the previous chapter we shall assume for simplicity that external balance is being pursued as an isolated objective. This will permit us to leave over for later discussion the question of the possible interrelationships between this objective and the other three.
KeywordsForeign Currency Aggregate Demand Payment Policy Current Account Balance Foreign Demand
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ball, R. J., ‘Credit Restriction and the Supply of Exports’, Manchester School o Economic and Social Studies (May 1961).Google Scholar
- Ball, R. J.,Eaton, J. R., and Steuer, M. D., ‘The Relationship between United Kingdom Export Performance in Manufactures and the Internal Pressure of Demand’, Economic Journal (Sep 1966).Google Scholar
- Cooper, R. N., ‘The Balance of Payments’, in Caves, R. E., and Associates, Britain’s Economic Prospects ( London: Allen & Unwin, 1968 ).Google Scholar
- Coppock, D. J., ‘The Alleged Case against Devaluation’, Manchester School of Economic and Social Studies (Sep 1965).Google Scholar
- Johnston, J., and Henderson, M., ‘Assessing the Effects of the Import Surcharge’, Manchester School of Economic and Social Studies (May 1967).Google Scholar
- Manser, W. A. P., ‘The Reddaway Report — Not the Last Word on Foreign Investment’, Westminster Bank Review (Aug 1967).Google Scholar
- Pearce, I. F., ‘The Problem of the Balance of Payments’, International Economic Review (Jan 1961).Google Scholar
- Perkins, J. O. N., ‘The Reddaway Report and Australia’, Australian Economic Papers (Dec 1967).Google Scholar
- Reddaway, W. B., in collaboration with Perkins, J. O. N., Potter, S. J., and Taylor, C. T., Effects of U.K. Direct Investment Overseas: An Interim Report (Cambridge University Press, 1967).Google Scholar
- Reddaway, W. B., in collaboration with Potter, S. J., and Taylor, C. T., Effects of U.K. Direct Investment Overseas: Final Report (Cambridge University Press, 1968).Google Scholar
- Scott, M. FG., A Study of United Kingdom Imports (Cambridge University Press, 1963 ).Google Scholar