The Economic Environment
Statistics on the level of income and wealth of the economy of the United Kingdom present an overall picture in terms of frequently used concepts. Precise definitions of these concepts, although well known to economists, are not so well known to others and Section 1 of this chapter therefore defines and explains the various statistics and concepts which are used later. Section 2 presents statistics on the national income and its recipients. Section 3 presents statistics on the amounts spent by the various sectors of the economy. Section 4 presents statistics on the distribution of income and Section 5 gives some statistics on wealth in the economy. Section 6 summarises the main trends in the statistics.
KeywordsNational Income Lorenz Curve BRITISH Society Total Wealth Blue Book
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wilfred Beckerman, An Introduction to National Income Analysis (Weidenfeld 1968).Google Scholar
- Central Statistical Office, National Accounts Statistics, ed. Rita Maurice (HMSO 1968).Google Scholar
- 1.C. Clark, National Income and Outlay (Macmillan 1938).Google Scholar
- 1.J. B. Jeffreys and D. Walters, National Income and Expenditure of the United Kingdom, 1870–1952, Income and Wealth series V (International Association for Research in Income and Wealth 1955).Google Scholar
- 1.J. R. N. Stone and D. Rowe, The Measurement of Consumers’ Expenditure and Behaviour in the United Kingdom 1920–1938, 2 vols (C.U.P. 1954 and 1966).Google Scholar
- 2.B. R. Mitchell and P. Deane, Abstract of Historical Statistics (C.U.P. 1962).Google Scholar
- 3.C. H. Feinstein, ‘The Distribution of Income between Labour and Property’, in J. Marchal and B. Ducros (eds), The Distribution of National Income, Proceedings of a Conference held by the International Economic Association (Macmillan 1968).Google Scholar
- 1.M. G. Kendall and A. Stuart, The Advanced Theory of Statistics, Vol. I (Charles Griffin 1958).Google Scholar
- 2.R. M. Titmuss, Income Distribution and Social Change (Allen & Unwin 1962).Google Scholar
- 3.H. F. Lydall, British Incomes and Savings, Oxford University Institute of Statistics Monograph no. 5 (1955).Google Scholar
- 2.J. R. Revell, The Wealth of the Nation: the National Balance Sheet of the U.K., 1957–1961 (C.U.P. 1967).Google Scholar