The sociology and social history of religion in industrial Britain are still at a preliminary stage, where emphasis lies on collection rather than analysis of data, where description remains an important task, and where explanation is in part more or less informed guesswork. This chapter is largely confined to the area of indigenous Christianity, and makes few references to Judaism, and none to Christian or non-Christian religions introduced to the UK by recent immigration.
KeywordsBritish Isle Religious Organisation BRITISH Society Late Twenty Protestant Denomination
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
General Reference Works
- F. L. Cross (ed.), The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church (London 1958).Google Scholar
- The Free Church Directory. Google Scholar
- Kenneth Grubb et al., World Christian Handbook (various editions since 1947).Google Scholar
- Johannes Grundler, Lexikon der Christlichen Kirchen und Sekten (Vienna 1961).Google Scholar
- Franklin H. Littell and Hans Hermann, Weltkirchen Lexikon (Stuttgart 1960).Google Scholar