The Short Stories

  • F. B. Pinion
Part of the Literary Companions book series (LICOM)


This slight romance was drawn from scenes in Hardy’s first novel, The Poor Man and the Lady. Many modifications were undoubtedly made (for example, the hero of the novel was an architect), but the original style, which Hardy later dismissed as ‘the affected simplicity of Defoe’s’, is preserved, and the closing scene achieves a distinctiveness and pathos which indicate a remarkable combination of discipline and poetic feeling. The period of the story is 1848–53. It was published in The New Quarterly Magazine and Harper’s Weekly in July 1878. Hardy did not include it in his collected works, and the place-names were therefore not changed to conform to the Wessex nomenclature which he adopted in the writing and revision of his novels from 1875. The topography is too general to appear localized, but Tollamore and Melport are easily identifiable.


Short Story County Gaol Monthly Magazine Opera Singer Church Tower 
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.


Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Copyright information

© F. B. Pinion 1968

Authors and Affiliations

  • F. B. Pinion

There are no affiliations available

Personalised recommendations