On assuming office Graham faced considerable hostility. Greville, who had briefly known him at Oxford, thought his appointment ‘the most monstrous of all’, bitterly recalling that
thinking he could do better [Graham] cut me, as he had done others before … I take vanity and self-sufficiency to be the prominent features of his character … I think he will fail.
KeywordsPublic Money Economy Campaign Financial Reform County Seat Naval Force
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Greville, op. cit., ii. 90–91; Bamford and Wellington, op. cit. ii. 417; Graham to Rooke, 15 Oct. 1830; Sir T. Wemyss Reid, The Life, Letters and Friendships of R. M. Milnes (1890), i. 95.Google Scholar
- 2.Spencer Walpole, The Life of Lord John Russell (1889), i. 165Google Scholar
- Lord Broughton, Recollections of a Long Life (1910), iv. 178Google Scholar
- D. G. Southgate, The Passing of the Whigs, 1832–1886 (1962), 12–13Google Scholar
- Arthur Aspinall, Brougham and the Whig Party (1939), 189; Brougham, op. cit., iii. 68, 93.Google Scholar
- 4.Graham to Grey, 21, Western to Graham, 26 Dec. 1830; Earl Grey (ed.), Correspondence of William IV and Earl Grey (2 vols., 1867), passim; Graham to Grey, 18 Jan. 1831.Google Scholar
- 7.See Butler, op. cit., 203 et seq.; Parker, op. cit., i. 105 et seq.; Grey, op. cit., i. 225 et seq.; Anglesey to Graham, 24 April 1831; Michael Joyce, My Friend H (1948), 216.Google Scholar
- 17.Graham to Grey, 24 Jan. 1831; Sir W. L. Clowes, The Royal Navy (1903), vi. 190–1.Google Scholar
- 18.See Erickson, op. cit., 95 et seq.; C. J. Bartlett, Great Britain and Sea Power 1815–1853 (Oxford, 1963), 9 et seq.; Parker, op. cit., ch. 7; Graham to Grey, 27 July, 28 Aug., 1 Sept., Graham to Stanley, 11 June 1831; Graham to Grey, 20 Sept., Grey to Graham, 21, 22 Sept., Graham to Grey, 26, 27 Sept., Grey to Graham, 28, 30 Sept., 4 Oct., Graham to Stanley, 5, 18 Nov., to Grey, 15 Nov. 1832 (most of these letters are partly quoted by Parker); Greville, op. cit., ii. 364.Google Scholar
© J. T. Ward 1967