Power Transition in Asia and Indian Foreign Policy
Relative decline of the US and China’s rise has ushered in a transition of power in Asia. This is most evident in Beijing’s challenge to the US-led liberal security order in Asia. To arrest such a transition, Washington has declared its strategy of pivot toward the Asia-Pacific. Indian foreign policy stands at crossroads at a time when this power transition is unfolding in its vicinity.
KeywordsForeign Policy Power Transition International Politics Military Spending Asian State
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 16.Michael Mandlebaum, A Frugal Superpower: America’s Global Leadership in a Cash Strapped Era, ( Public Affairs: New York, 2008 )Google Scholar
- Thomas Friedman and Michael Mandlebaum, That Used To Be Us: How America Fell Behind in the World It Invented and How Can We Come Back, ( MacMillan: New York, 2012 ).Google Scholar
- 17.Martin Jacques, When China Rules the World: The End of the Western World and the Birth of a New Global Order ( Penguin: New York, 2009 )Google Scholar
- Mark Stein, After America: Get Ready for Armageddon, ( Regnery: New York, 2011 )Google Scholar
- Aaron Friedberg, A Contest for Supremacy: China, America and the Mastery of Asia, (W.W. Nortan: New York, 2011); also see, Robert J. Lieber, “America in Decline: It’s a Matter of Choices, Not Fate”, World Affairs, September/ October 2012, http://www.worldaffairsjournal.org/article/america-declineit%E2%80%99s-matter-choices-not-fateGoogle Scholar
- 30.A. F. K. Organski and Jacek Kugler, The War Ledger, Chicago, (Illinois: The University of Chicago Press, 1980 ), pp. 4–8.Google Scholar
- 32.William Wohlforth, Elusive Balance: Power and Perceptions During the Cold War, ( Cornell University Press: Ithaca, 1993 ).Google Scholar
- 97.Harsh V. Pant, “Rising China in Indiâs Vicinity: A Rivalry that Takes Shape”, Cambridge Review of International Studies, Vol. 25, No. 3 (March 2013), p. 2.Google Scholar
- 99.Ashley J. Tellis, Unity in Difference: Overcoming the US–India Divide, ( Washington DC: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, 2015 ), p. 31.Google Scholar
- 108.Zbigniew Brzezinski, Strategic Vision: America and the Crisis of Global Power, ( New York: Basic Books, 2012 ).Google Scholar